82 XS650 Starts then dies

r u using the choke? your idle should jump way up. that idle is way too low. pull the bowls off and clean the enrichener circuit.
when u uncovered your idle mix screws, did you remove them and really clean it all out good?
When you replaced the throttle shaft seals, are your plates centered in the bores?

No choke
Removed and cleaned them really well along with all the passage ways
plates are centered

The recommended idle speed is only 1200 RPMs why should it shoot way up if there is no choke?

your starting a cold engine correct? use the choke. its supposed to idle high with the choke. just try it.
oh, yeah, make sure there is a clear path behind the bike. It will walk backwards at high idle.

Hi Carl and welcome,
apart from the headline saying "82 etc." there's no bike description but from the photos and bits from text (blacked-out carbs & crankcase and only one petcock) your bike is a late model Special that either you or the dreaded PO has swapped earlier model head & barrels (should also be blacked out but ain't) onto.
What would help us diagnose the bike's problem is for you to build a signature line into your posts that includes a brief bike description.
It's easy.
Even I can do it.

Last edited:
Hi Carl and welcome,
apart from the headline saying "82 etc." there's no bike description but from the photos and bits from text (blacked-out carbs & crankcase and only one petcock) your bike is a late model Special that either you or the dreaded PO has swapped earlier model head & barrels (should also be blacked out but ain't) onto.
What would help us diagnose the bike's problem is for you to build a signature line into your posts that includes a brief bike description.
It's easy.
Even I can do it.

Thanks fred I will build a signature. It is an '82 Heritage Special sorry for not clarifying that. The head was replaced because of a crack. The barrels are the "original" from the previous owner. According to the previous owner he, an old navy guy, was the original owner and bought it off the assembly line in Japan and had brought it back states side on his ship. The whole engine was pretty dirty when I took owner ship and after some time with de-greaser and scrubbing with a brush it came out nice an silver. It may have had black paint on it at one point but not anymore, the de-greaser I used was pretty strong but needed to be with the years of neglect on the bike from the previous owner. Received the "new" head from a friend of the family who works on bikes (since moved away or he would have had this thing running) who went to a junk yard and found another xs650 motor and pulled parts, I should have bought the whole bike.

Hang a timing light on one of the plug wires, have it flash thru the whole ordeal.
If it continues to flash a bit when it cuts out, think fuel.
If the timing light stops flashing exactly when it cuts out, think ignition...

I will get a timing light and get testing! Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will keep everyone updated!

Thanks fred I will build a signature. It is an '82 Heritage Special sorry for not clarifying that. - - - I should have bought the whole bike.

Hi Carl,
alas that the bike's model and year of manufacture ain't the end of it. Perhaps yours could say "Stock '82 Heritage Special"?
I've seen more than one string that took half a page of posts to determine that the only XS650 thing about the bike in question was the power unit.
About your bike's ten seconds maximum run time problem. It'll fire up every time then quit? How long does it take before it'll start again?
What I'd do, right after I re-connected the open vacuum port to the petcock to see if that alone would fix the problem, would be to remove the gas feed line, turn the petcock to PRIme and see how fast the gas came out. Then turn the petcock to ON, and then to REServe to see what happens.
There should be no flow.
Then pull the vacuum line off the carb manifold spigot and suck on it to see what happens then.

FYI its Cal no 'r' :D

alas that the bike's model and year of manufacture ain't the end of it. Perhaps yours could say "Stock '82 Heritage Special"?
Ok stock has been added.

About your bike's ten seconds maximum run time problem. It'll fire up every time then quit? How long does it take before it'll start again?

It'll fire up every time and quit just like the video I did it twice there and can do it as many times as I want. If I choke it it revs up and dies in the same fashion. Every once in a while it will run for about 30 seconds maybe 45 I hold my breath and almost pass out hoping it will stay running that i lose track of time.

What I'd do, right after I re-connected the open vacuum port to the petcock to see if that alone would fix the problem, would be to remove the gas feed line, turn the petcock to PRIme and see how fast the gas came out. Then turn the petcock to ON, and then to REServe to see what happens.
There should be no flow.
Then pull the vacuum line off the carb manifold spigot and suck on it to see what happens then.

I did all this yesterday and PRIme gas flows like no tomorrow. Turn to ON or REServe and no flow. Suck on the vacuum line and it starts to flow again. As I assume is correct for the bike.

Really appreciate all the help. I feel like we are going to find this one thing that is off and boom it will run. Really glad I found this site. Also found an 1980 XS650 for sale in my same little town and I have talked to the guy who has it about looking at his so I can see if anything looks drastically different than mine. Besides his is cleaner.

Your petcock operation sounds OK, and normal for your model. This is looking more and more like an electrical problem, or more precisely, an ignition problem. Something seems to be making the ignition cut out shortly after starting. There is a separate fuse in the fuse box for the ignition. I would check that and it's connectors. The stock fuse boxes crap out. The clips that hold the fuses get weak, even break.

Your petcock operation sounds OK, and normal for your model. This is looking more and more like an electrical problem, or more precisely, an ignition problem. Something seems to be making the ignition cut out shortly after starting. There is a separate fuse in the fuse box for the ignition. I would check that and it's connectors. The stock fuse boxes crap out. The clips that hold the fuses get weak, even break.

5twins. Fuse box has been replaced with inline fuse holders which look spotless (This was previous to my ownership) But I am starting to agree with you on the electrical. I have spent too much time with the carbs they are spotless and even had a friend come take a look and ask me where i had them cleaned and rebuilt.

Ok I know it has been a while since I have posted on here. But here is what I have tried and where I am at... I have looked into the rare earth magnet and thought "Maybe I could but a magnet over the one that is already there and test" well there isn't enough room for a magnet to go on the stator rotor and clear everything while zipping around. I found a person a town over selling carbs off a working bike and I am buying them off of him to completely rule out the carbs. I keep forgetting to grab a timing light to see if its fuel or electrical. Other than that I checked all the fuses and have made sure a lot of the electrical is in good condition. I will keep everyone informed but if I get this bike running I am 100% going to cleaning it all up repaint and keep this thing... I hate it so much for not running I love it!!!

image.jpeg

I'm thinking electrical. Could there be a short somewhere in the charging circuit that grounds the ignition only when the bjke is started and the charging circuit kicks in? Just a theory. Experts, is this possible?

I grabbed a new magnet today that is .060 thick (assuming inches but I will grab a pair of verniers and check) but it is still too thick. Cant find anything at the hardware or homedepot thinner than that.... to google we will go. Grabbed a timing light today. The bike runs and then cuts out the light cuts out at the exact moment the bike dies. It doesn't cut out before the bike does and doesnt last longer like we talked about.

Being an '82, I think you have all the extra safety relays. In particular, I think you have one on the sidestand. It will kill the motor if you put the bike in gear with the stand down. Maybe it's acting up? I think it's pretty easy to bypass, just unplug and jumper the wires together. Someone who knows more about it will hopefully chime in here.

Hang a timing light on one of the plug wires, have it flash thru the whole ordeal.
If it continues to flash a bit when it cuts out, think fuel.
If the timing light stops flashing exactly when it cuts out, think ignition...

Hi Cal, the best advice is here from 2M, you haven't been able to do this? I can see where this is heading, please try this so we can eliminate the carbs mate...

Hi Cal, the best advice is here from 2M, you haven't been able to do this? I can see where this is heading, please try this so we can eliminate the carbs mate...
Thanks, I did that and I miss read 2Ms diagnostic before it is ignition problems, 100%

Last edited:
Back