83 Heritage Special-->Street Tracker?

Vintageracer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So, I've wanted to build a Street Tracker since I saw the article in Cycle World ofthe AR Street tracker back in 1998. I've moved out of racing and desert riding and now the time is right.

I've have bought a couple of XS650's to use as the base but in all honesty the 1975 B model and the 1978 E model I have picked up are way too nice, stock, and original to destroy or modify.

Last weekend I picked up a low mileage 1983 Heritage Special for $400. All stock and original, runs beautifully. It is a little weathered from sitting, so it is a perfect candidate.

The questions:
1) Will the earlier 19" and 18" spoke wheels (hubs specifically) directly swap?
2) Will the Omar's seat/tailsection fit WITH the use of the stock Heritage Special tank? I have heard conflicting reports on this due to the supposed extra length of the tank.

What other issues has anyone had or can they think of?

Any commentary would be appreciated. I am not tying to do this on the cheap and want the fininshed product to look near new, so new wheels will be built, fabrication is not a problem, etc. I just don't want to be surprised by some quirk of the Heritage Special chassis.

THANKS!

Last edited:
All drum rear, disk front hubs are direct interchange 74 up. The heritage hubs have the 48 64 spoke pattern so you will have limited options changing rims to your hubs.

I scanned this from the build book I bought from Omar's. Read the bottom paragraph:

Attachments

• omars 001.jpg
    omars 001.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 211
I scanned this from the build book I bought from Omar's. Read the bottom paragraph:

That's one of the reasons I was asking the question on this forum. I have the Omar's booklet, too, but it appears to be filled with misinformation regarding the Heritage Special. The book states that the geometry is different than the Standard, but they have the same 27 degree steering head, same fork, same singarm, etc. This is verified with a number of Yamaha specifications and parts diagrams.

As far as I can tell the dimensions and geometry is the same as the earlier Specials. The only difference I can see is the tank mounting dimensions, but I do not have another Special in the garage to compare it to. I was hoping someone here had actual experience converting one...

All drum rear, disk front hubs are direct interchange 74 up. The heritage hubs have the 48 64 spoke pattern so you will have limited options changing rims to your hubs.

That's great news! I plan on giving the 48 spoke wheels away and building new wheels from polished standard 36 spoke hubs.

Anybody want the 48s?

If you can find one a TX750 rear wheel is a direct fit also, it has a larger drum brake than the 650.

+1 the specials have slightly different rear shock mounts, forward and lower about 3/4", the exhaust mount is a little further forward, and the tail loop is shorter, that's about it. I just took a special tank off a 78 standard, I think all but the 70-73 can be interchanged.

Back