A 23" Front Wheel?

2vw73gx.jpg

:D

I'll stick to what I know....particle physics and chaos mathematics.

(See? Everyone can play the "I'm talking out my ass through this internet thing" game when they don't have to back it up. Fun right?)

And yes. For the dumb down....I'm mocking you.

So manufacturing flat outs from plate makes you an engineering whiz now? Lol

I wasted a lot of years in college if that's all it should have taken to get closer to that goal.

Thanks for showing me the light.

I'll tell my son that he's an engineer now. He's 8 and knows how to measure hole locations and draw simple parts in solidworks. He'll be pumped. Hope he doesn't try to charge more because of his elite skillz.

For some reason, your inability to compose yourself enough to say what you want in just one post reminds of an old saying...."It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person."

Thanks for the laughs. :thumbsup:

Speaking of laughs...another (un)informative post from our resident MIT engineering professor. :laugh:

How about a new approach, professor? Find my technical comment in this thread (snicker snicker) that you take umbrage with given your extensive engineering expertise and tell us why what I said was incorrect. I, for one, would love if you would get to a point. Any point.

Edit- it appears the professor has gone back to his lab to design simple parts that he will likely pay someone else to make for him to sell to the masses.

I still maintain my opinion. 23's tend to look goofy on choppers, even if the professor disagrees.

23" wheels look at home on a dirtbike, and look cartoonish on a chopper in my opinion.

I'll agree, but I am certain that the wheel in the pic that you provided is WAY bigger than 21" or 23". Those wheels like what you have in the pic are like 26" all the way up to 31" IIRC. Ugly iMHO, but a 21" or a 23" might make a smaller bobber-style build a little more special.

Also, pay no mind to Solo2Racer. He's been a member here for 3 years, and only had 12 posts when I began posting here a couple months ago. Since then his post count has been on fire! Now he's up to 60+, with an incredibly low signal-to-noise ratio, preferring to point out people's faults rather than offer any useful advice.

He's douched-up every thread I have started here, so I pretty much just ignore him now. The only reason I do not actually put him on ignore is that I sometimes find his ignorance quite amusing.

I'll agree, but I am certain that the wheel in the pic that you provided is WAY bigger than 21" or 23". Those wheels like what you have in the pic are like 26" all the way up to 31" IIRC. Ugly iMHO, but a 21" or a 23" might make a smaller bobber-style build a little more special.

It was a joke. ;) It was meant to be exaggeratory in a comedic fashion. Lol

21's don't make choppers special. They're a standard. Lot's of people run them. Me included. But they do look daaaamn good. And that's what choppers are about. Cause they sure ain't practical! Haha

Also, pay no mind to Solo2Racer. He's been a member here for 3 years, and only had 12 posts when I began posting here a couple months ago. Since then his post count has been on fire! Now he's up to 60+, with an incredibly low signal-to-noise ratio, preferring to point out people's faults rather than offer any useful advice.

He's douched-up every thread I have started here, so I pretty much just ignore him now. The only reason I do not actually put him on ignore is that I sometimes find his ignorance quite amusing.

Well you know what they say about guys like that..."those who can do. Those who can't, talk until people don't care to listen because everyone knows the volume of the hot wind that's going to incessantly be belched forth from their upper mounted poo hole."

Okay. So maybe that's NOT what they say exactly... But it makes sense here. :laugh:

It was a joke. ;) It was meant to be exaggeratory in a comedic fashion. Lol

21's don't make choppers special. They're a standard. Lot's of people run them. Me included. But they do look daaaamn good. And that's what choppers are about. Cause they sure ain't practical! Haha

I was actually wondering if there was any - if anything at all - practical advantage to a 21" front wheel vs the 19" stockie. Anything?

I was actually wondering if there was any - if anything at all - practical advantage to a 21" front wheel vs the 19" stockie. Anything?

You'll see people blabbering about stability benefits, etc. It's all a load.

There is no technical benefit.

They just look smooth and are more readily available in skinny sizes, which is what most chopper guys want(ed).

Well you know what they say about guys like that..."those who can do. Those who can't, talk until people don't care to listen because everyone knows the volume of the hot wind that's going to incessantly be belched forth from their upper mounted poo hole.

giphy_zpsznxs12iv.gif

Hi solo,
in the context of a dirt bike, I'd suppose a 23" wheel would look right relative to them big rocks, logs & boulders the dirt bike's gotta hop over or the slough it's gotta wade through, eh?

In the late 70s-early 80s, Honda made a variety of dirt bikes of the dual sport variety which had 23" front wheels. One of my cousins had a 350 Honda with the big front wheel. He used it as a work bike on his farm and it did pretty well.

I think the idea was to be able to get in and out of holes and over rocks and things with a little bit more ground clearance from the larger wheel. I notice there aren't any dirt bikes with 23" front wheels any more so it must not have gone over too well with the troops.

Dirt bike- si. Road bike- no. I s'pose if you're the type of rider who occasionally has to climb over curbs and go up and down sets of stairs, there might be a practical advantage to a 21". There is more sticky, wide rubber available with an 18" or a 19". Some cafe guys go with modern 17"wheels/tires.

Just for some info for you guys from someone who has done a 23 on a chopp. Its as big as I would go on a under 400 lb bike you do change the riding and turning with larger wheel. Also I would use a wheel with more meat to it than a dirt bike wheel. Yes they take punishment on a dirt bike but weight is different. Ultma makes a 23 and a 26 which can go onto a sportster front easy if you waned to try. That Harley is a 30" wheel and around 80mph they wiggle like mad not enough tire for rim. You have to put steering stabilizer on wheels larger than 26". Just like a larger rake you change the front end trail had to do many drag bikes this way with stabilizer . I like the look but the ride is scary on those 30" wheels. Here is a fury done cool looking and a Harley. I want to do a Sportster with a 26" wheel Hard tailed. Here are two wheels both under $400 first one is 23" and second is 26" both FAT SPOKES. I am using this style on a Harley I am doing now.

Attachments

• fury bagger.jpg
    fury bagger.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 149
  • bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 23 wh.jpg
    23 wh.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 26 wh.jpg
    26 wh.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 160
Just for some info for you guys from someone who has done a 23 on a chopp. Its as big as I would go on a under 400 lb bike you do change the riding and turning with larger wheel. Also I would use a wheel with more meat to it than a dirt bike wheel. Yes they take punishment on a dirt bike but weight is different. Ultma makes a 23 and a 26 which can go onto a sportster front easy if you waned to try. That Harley is a 30" wheel and around 80mph they wiggle like mad not enough tire for rim. You have to put steering stabilizer on wheels larger than 26". Just like a larger rake you change the front end trail had to do many drag bikes this way with stabilizer . I like the look but the ride is scary on those 30" wheels. Here is a fury done cool looking and a Harley. I want to do a Sportster with a 26" wheel Hard tailed.

Do those bags scrape when you corner? :eek:

Most of the bikes have air in rear and you lower it when sitting and raise it while driving. The ones I do only have air in rear but there are some that have both front and rear and can sit low enough to sit without kickstand. Have not had one scrape at height yet. I was thinking of doing a mini like a XS650 or a CB but don't know if it will look like a cartoon when done. I have a sportster to do next year for a guy and doing research on the parts. I just rode a 30" wheel one two weeks ago and his was scary on turns felt like wheel was going to turn under like the old 20" springers I use to do. Same feeling in turns going straight it was ok and I was under 50 mph. I plan over the winter to do a VTX 1300 with a 26 " front wheel for myself. Those bikes have come way down in price and everything is easy bolt on for them. Guys on the west coast are getting over $75,000 for these builds and the one I rode was bought used at $38,000.

Way back moment; in the 60's builders after "that look" went to bicycle front wheels. They found out that a bicycle tire doesn't have a steel bead wire, it expands and leaves the rim at speed. Ouch.
I cast a leery eye at riding "out there" styling exercises.

Back