a few simple ignition questions

moparmatt91

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
im new to wiring and i am to the point when i want to get my engine running. I have an 81 with stock charging system and ignition system. I have a tc bros wiring harness which seemed very simple to use. I am getting no spark and am not sure if thats becuase my black ignition box is bad or my coils are bad. Im looking toward just upgrading to a pamco setup, but there are so many different ones on mikesxs that i am confused. Can someone please tell me the difference between the units and which one would work best for me.And if i change mysystem to a pamco do i no longer use my black ignition box?

The Pamco needs an advance rod and advance unit to function. Your 1980 didn't come with those parts so you will need the more complete Pamco kit that includes them. Yes, it will replace and do away with your current black box. It will also include a new coil.

thanks for the quick reply. i plan on running a kickstart only. Should i pay the extra money for the high output system? im confused by how many pamco kits there are. On mikes xs i see part # 14-0902 14-0912 14-0915

Back