A question before I open up my tachometer...

jradvantage

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The tach on my 78 has always been a little squirrelly. The higher I rev the motor the more the tach needle jumps around. After a little troubleshooting I figured out the cause.

Turns out the thing you screw the tach cable into at the tach is loose. when I hold the cable taut, the tach works fine. I figured for starters I'd take the tach off the bike and see if tightening the two screws on either side would do the trick. Nope.

It appears that although the tach mechanism is tight, the piece the tach cable screws into is loose.

Before I tear this thing open, I'd like to know what it's going to take to tighten that piece to the tach mechanism?

Thanks,
JR

If I was sure that was the problem, I'd try to fix it from the outside first, maybe using JB Weld or superglue gel. Possibly get enough worked in there to hold it. My needle swinging problem was the top gasket between the meter and the housing worn out and not providing any damping. I've had the tach or speedo apart for some other reason, but can't visualize it in the kind of detail you need anymore. But I'd expect to see cracked plastic if it was loose there.

Has 2 lugs on the plate that go into 2 recesses on the Speedo drive shaft. I have a broken one that looks to have been hit in an accident and is loose. Going by looking at the broken one and this good one it may just be glued on and the speedo case helps to hold it there.

IMG_7267  crop text copy.jpg

Has 2 lugs on the plate that go into 2 recesses on the Speedo drive shaft. I have a broken one that looks to have been hit in an accident and is loose. Going by looking at the broken one and this good one it may just be glued on and the speedo case helps to hold it there.

View attachment 117920

Thanks for the pic, 650Skull.
I'll pull it apart and see what I got. I'm thinking glue or jbweld may just do the trick.

I have a screw rattling around my tach. It happened once before can't remember if it's the same one. I'm going to locktite both. Idk if I did last time. I cut a slit in the bezzel w hacksaw and got in through the top. Is there any other way to get to the face?

No prob jr,

I had it in an album but when the site changed to XnForo most of the wording was lost........Had some problems with a troll, caused all sorts of dramas and he tried to get me Banned. I had had enough and deleted my albums and was going to quit the forum.........The troll hardly comes on here any more, i decided to redo the tutorials......i'm here to help.

Back