XS650C Tachometer - loose drive thimble ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've just picked up a rather tidy set of XS650C instruments.
The one year only 1976 type with no sign of the usual dents and scrapes to the bezels, or having been opened up by prising up the back edge of the bezels.
However on the tachometer the threaded metal drive thimble that the cable screws into rattles about by a couple of millimetres.
First assumption was that the screws holding the internal mechanism to the plastic casing were missing or loose.
Not the case they are present and tight.
The dial/pointer assembly doesn't move about when I rattle the cable thimble.
I've not come across this before, any ideas how to fix it without butchering the casing ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_125316~2.jpg
    IMG_20230318_125316~2.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230318_125328~2.jpg
    IMG_20230318_125328~2.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 43
Hello Grewth
Found my dismantled clock to take a look at what u have there. looks like the vibs have got to the clock and worked the crimping loose where the Mazak thimble is crimped to the steel inner shell of the Gauge.
Permanent fix would be to open the Gauge (prise open the Bezzle) and re-crimp the thimble.
Temp fix would be to get that angled part level and run in some loctite, loosening the two screws may help get the loctite in but it could be a bit hit or miss to get it in the right place. I have no idea how long it would last.
As an afterthought if u drill a small hole in the plastic alongside the thimble it would be easier to get the loctite in.
Bit of a ramble I know, perhaps best to open it up

Back