First Step in Removing Speedometer From XS650C

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have found a lot of great info on the forum on how to remove the bezel to get at a loose speedometer faceplate. I have no problems with that job. What I specifically have not found, is how to remove the speedometer from the 1976 XS650C. I'm thinking there could be differences among the different XS models.

I'm pretty sure I'll find that it's a simple, straightfoward procedure... but I don't want to push and pull where I'm not supposed to and possibly damage the instrument or housing. Obviously, the acorn nuts need to be removed from the bottom of the speedo housing as well as the cable. Then, is it simply a matter of grabbing the speedo and muscling it up and out? I pulled a bit on it, but it didn't budge. I'd like to hear from those with experience before I yank hard and mess something up! :doh:

Oh... and please correct me if I'm wrong... it doesn't appear that the odometer reset knob would need to be removed as the housing is slotted so it could be pulled straight up and out.

Many thanks in advance!!!! :)

here's the parts blowup you'll also need to deal with the lights wiring

Attachments

• METER_XS650C.png
    METER_XS650C.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 160
here's the parts blowup you'll also need to deal with the lights wiring

Thanks for the quick reply, jayel! I did see the diagram, and it appears that nothing but the acorn nuts and cable hold it in (and the tight fitting molding at the top). I would unplug the electrical connections. So my assumption that it's simply a "hard pull up" is correct. Would a bit of silicone spray or something like that ease it a bit?

Thanks!

I'll state the obvious but there are two sets of nuts, one holds the can to the bracket the second set holds the speedo in the can.... then out.

tach 003.JPG

Yeah silicone spray or other lube (nearly) always a good idea!

I'll state the obvoius but there are two sets of nuts, one holds the can to the bracket the second set holds the speedo in the can.... then out.

Yeah silicone spray or other lube (nearly) always a good idea!

Thanks gggGary! I kinda thought the nut removal then straight pull up and out was obvious. But this thing is really tight and I didn't want to break anything. So I'm just gonna shoot it with silicone, then give it a good hard pull and hope I don't land on my butt! :laugh:

Thanks guys!!

Try to twist it a little as you lift it out, I noticed when I removed my tack the studs that went thru the holes in the bracket to hold it on were tweaked a little and the threads were grabbing on the bracket holding it in, my tach was busted so I wasn't bashful about being rough with it. It could be that the study are just pinching your bracket a little and the threads are grabbing the bracket a bit.

Try to twist it a little as you lift it out, I noticed when I removed my tack the studs that went thru the holes in the bracket to hold it on were tweaked a little and the threads were grabbing on the bracket holding it in, my tach was busted so I wasn't bashful about being rough with it. It could be that the study are just pinching your bracket a little and the threads are grabbing the bracket a bit.

Thanks for the tip! I probably wouldn't have thought to look down at the studs. I'm going to pick up some silicone spray this afternoon, and give it a go tonight.

I can't quite tell from your description whether you are trying to remove the gauge and it's bucket from the mounting bracket or the gauge from it's bucket. If it's the latter, be advised that the rubber gasket between the gauge and the bucket gets a very strong bite on both over time and will tear if forced. I loosen them up gradually by inserting a thin blade cut from a plastic bottle in between gasket and bucket.

roy

I can't quite tell from your description whether you are trying to remove the gauge and it's bucket from the mounting bracket or the gauge from it's bucket. If it's the latter, be advised that the rubber gasket between the gauge and the bucket gets a very strong bite on both over time and will tear if forced. I loosen them up gradually by inserting a thin blade cut from a plastic bottle in between gasket and bucket.

Roy... it is the latter... I need to remove the gauge from the bucket. And thank you for your reply! That was my original concern... that I might mess something up by being too heavy handed. I certainly don't want to tear the gasket. I'll follow your recommendation and attempt to carefully loosen the grip of the rubber on the bucket. Thanks!

Back