A question: Bronze bushes or bearings?

OdysseusXS

XS650 padawan
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Been a while since I logged in to the site. Just wondering what the general opinion is on the merits of bronze bushes to replace those plastic bushes on the swingarm versus a bearing change over kit. Bearings are the more expensive option, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either. The bike is an 82 XS650 SH.
Cheers, OdysseusXS

I have not yet fitted my needle bearing kit, so have no actual experience with swing arm needle bearings for the XS. However, I do have 2 Ducatis, where the swing arm has needle bearings, 2 on each side (width around 16-20 mm each bearing) My 1995 Monster had done over 100 000 km, and the bearinggs have been cleaned and re-greased once, and there is still no play. My 1997 ST2 has done only 25 000 km (bought it recently), and I pulled the shaft to check the bearings, and they seemed almost like new, but still got some new grease anyhow. On the Ducatis, there are sealing rings keeping water and dust out, which surely helps with the bearing life. There is no grease fitting, so greasing requires disassembly.
The needle bearings for the XS I got from Jerry Heiden, has one needle bearing each side, and a shorter bronze/brass bushing that goes on the outside. So it is kind of a hybrid bushing/bearing setup. The needle bearing should take most of the radial load, and that should help the bushing last longer, I believe. In any case, since there is no proper sealing rings, a grease fitting on the swing arm itself will be added on my XS, to allow easy regreasing of bearings and bushings.

The problem with needle bearings in the XS650 swingarm is the XS650 frame. The needle bearing kits use not only needle roller bearings but also needle thrust bearings. In the original setup, the XS650 swingarm axle pulls the frame together to lock the inner bushing ("sleeve") against the thrust covers ("grease seals") with sideplay between the outer bushings and the thrust covers providing thrust relief. If adequate torque is not applied, the frame will flex at the swingarm pivot. The needle thrust bearings which replace the original thrust covers will only take a maximum of 25 ftlbs, which is insufficient to limit flex in the unmodified frame. If you're set on needle bearings, consider bracing the frame.

Hey everybody,

Been a while since I logged in to the site. Just wondering what the general opinion is on the merits of bronze bushes to replace those plastic bushes on the swingarm versus a bearing change over kit. Bearings are the more expensive option, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either. The bike is an 82 XS650 SH.
Cheers, OdysseusXS
..................... hi guys a while ago i purchased a box of stuff i needed to have ,,,,from mikesxs,,,, and i purchased bronze bushes for the swing arm,,,,, the only mistake i made was not buying a new sleeve to go on my new axle bolt,,, i don,t want to take any chances that way i,ll end up with a good set up on my swing arm bushes for sure,,, regards oldbiker :):)

Back