A ripp'n hardtail bobber build from a seized, desert rat: CALLING ALL DESTROYERS

I would think a title in California would be a very difficult proposition. I am just guessing as they have some tough standards on emmissions and guns laws. I have a perfectly good frame myself but have not done anything with it after checking around on whats involved towards securing a title.
jefft

RIGHT, i did find this site called getnewtitle.com seems like they could do it... but idk if it would really be worth it...

Their would be nothing worse than spending a lot of time and money creating something that your really proud of and itching to take for the first ride only to find out you can't title it. Just saying. $445.00 for a tiltle? Ouch.
jefft

So what are you doing for a title? Just curious as i have an xs650 frame with no title too and still trying to figure the best route to get one.

turns out my vin number isnt in the system. ill actually be calling aaa this week to see whats involved in getting a title...will keep posted

I would think a title in California would be a very difficult proposition. I am just guessing as they have some tough standards on emmissions and guns laws. I have a perfectly good frame myself but have not done anything with it after checking around on whats involved towards securing a title.
jefft

its a good thing ive opted to NOT make the frame out of guns :)

I hope it works out with the title. I was just saying that California has some pretty strict laws on many things and being the state with the highest percentage of motorcycle thefts probably won't make it any easier securing a good title.
Jefft

FINISHES:
ive gone round and round with different types of finished for CALLING ALL DESTROYERS. i know for sure i dont want to use brass anything-its a bit played out. but while at the powder coaters for my rims and cylinder heads, i had a chance to see examples of various gold powder. no offense to anyone that has or is planning to use it but its too plastic-y for my taste. rather than pc'ing gold, and with gold plating out of the question, it looks like ill be using gold anodize. but to get that real BLING look i had some parts polished first.

front and rear hub-polished and ready for anodize:

photo8-1.jpg

STUNT'n MAAAAAN!!!!

ANODIZE? Clear those beautiful things!

RpNSht, you did all this to a bike with no title. What a waste. No title = parts bike.
Don't buy one where the seller say's "It's easy to get a title" If it was easy then the seller would have done it.
Leo

From what I understand, CA is not too hard to get a title with a bill of sale or statement of purchase (IE bought at a garage sale). They run the VIN and if it checks out, you get a Title. Here in Nevada it's impossible to get a Title like that. Some other states don't even require a title.

There is this guy in Nevada, near Reno that sells bike parts on CL. He has a CA license and address. He buys untitled bikes, takes them to CA and gets a title, then brings them back here and registers them.

What does "this guy" charge for getting the thing titled. Any more info on how to contact him. I have a frame I picked up for near nothing. I loaded it up and ran it buy the cop shop to have the numbers ran. It came back clean but its still going to be a hassle. I don't even have a bill of sale. Oh well, maybe make a good engine stand. I don't understand why states have to vary so much on their requirements on this. It amazes me how many times you see a frame on ebay for $350 with no title. Also, without being able to just go down to the DMV and switch a good title into another name, you will probably at least have to go through some sort of state inspection. Being thats its a chopper you could find even more hassle there.
jefft

Not in the system is better? Don't youse guys have to pay for all registrations since it was last licensed if it was in the system? There are more states pulling that BS now.

came across this link where hugh breaks the transmission down!

http://www.bikermetric.com/2011/12/techtips-xs650-transmission-assembly-by.html

5th Gear Overdrive:

The 5th gear overdrive has been mentioned in a few of the builds here on the forum and it came highly recommended to me from a talented builder so i decided to go ahead and do it. mikes xs has the part listed here: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-22.html#products

heres a bit of information about it:
this goes off topic but begins well: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411

a good build with lots of photos (takes for every to load though): http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140580&postcount=3

i couldnt find much on which actual install until i came across this build which helped a lot: http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=project&action=display&thread=4858&page=4

the transmission how it would be in the case; my finger pointing to the gear that needs to be swapped:
IMG_3096.jpg

theres a spring clip that keeps the gear in place, next a washer, then the gear can slip off no problem:
IMG_3098.jpg

5th gear overdrive left, stock gear right:
IMG_3101.jpg

all back together, my finger pointing to the 5th gear in place:
IMG_3103.jpg

easy breezy!

From what I understand, CA is not too hard to get a title with a bill of sale or statement of purchase (IE bought at a garage sale). They run the VIN and if it checks out, you get a Title. Here in Nevada it's impossible to get a Title like that. Some other states don't even require a title.

There is this guy in Nevada, near Reno that sells bike parts on CL. He has a CA license and address. He buys untitled bikes, takes them to CA and gets a title, then brings them back here and registers them.

yeah i hear its pretty easy too

What does "this guy" charge for getting the thing titled.

He doesn't do it for other people. Just himself. He was telling my father-in-law how to do it. Sell it to a friend in CA, they title it and sell it back to you.

On the other hand, I like buying vehicles that have huge back fees in CA for cheap. As long as it's titled I can register it here for nothing. It can never go back to CA though.

so i just got off the phone with the dmv. aaa cant help in anyway...california dmv stated that if the vin is out of the system then i can apply for a new title. will have to show up to dmv with the frame in hand as proof of the vin and fill out the form. $16.00 for application fee + $18.00 for the new title. done and done

if its in the system its a whole other story...

i dont have the vin on me at this moment so i will have to call back...when i check the dmv website the vin wasnt in the system. but the operator can also check and get the real deal so hopefully their website is right and my vin is not in the system.

will keep posted

TITLE UPDATE!!!!:

just got off the phone with the dmv again, this time with vin number in hand. my vin number is not in the system, therefore all i need is a bill of sale and a duplicate title form filled out with the frame of the motorcycle. im scheduled to go in the dmv next week to start new as the dmv puts it putting the title in my name. $15.00 for duplicate title process fee and $18.00 for title.

EASY BREEZY!!!

so far no need to jump to conclusions about PARTS BIKE and WASTE OF TIME and SUCH
lets see if ill be singing that tune next tuesday afternoon
fingers crossed

The title things comes up alot .. and from my experince .. all states will alow you to build your own frame from scratch (I.E. You have a bunch of tubing laying around and can run a welder) .. so .. if you cover / remove or just machine a new neck with no numbers .. you can legally get a custom vin after a inspection there for giving you a new custom built title and vin plate..( they dont care about engine numbers people blow and replace engines all the time ) this entire prosses here in virgina only cost 125$ for inspection and 5$ for a new vin plate .. same thing alot of rat rod guys do ..

TITLE UPDATE!!!!:

just got off the phone with the dmv again, this time with vin number in hand. my vin number is not in the system, therefore all i need is a bill of sale and a duplicate title form filled out with the frame of the motorcycle. im scheduled to go in the dmv next week to start new as the dmv puts it putting the title in my name. $15.00 for duplicate title process fee and $18.00 for title.

EASY BREEZY!!!

so far no need to jump to conclusions about PARTS BIKE and WASTE OF TIME and SUCH
lets see if ill be singing that tune next tuesday afternoon
fingers crossed

Hope it works out!!! Wonder if KY is that easy! might have to give my local dmv a call :D

Back