Advanced or just retarded ?

marcprice

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen

Here I am with my first post and a picture of my Son and his bike I help him with as my post picture.

Now we are on our second motor as we holed a piston on the first. We are not terrible bodgers or complete amateurs, we had some bad luck!?

Okay, the question:
I am trying to strobe in the ignition on the right cylinder and see that we are full clockwise on the points plate and the rotor timing mark is well to the right of the 'F' by at least 1.5cm in new money. This puts the top right side points nearly against the cover screw hole.
I cannot get any more clockwise movement, in fact the points will soon touch the casing if I do.
What is wrong here?
On my car V8 I had a problem with the advance mechanism hitting the thermostat so moved the dizzy a cog or two and moved the plug wires around the cap on hole to suit to get free travel space. I feel I need a similar thing here to get the timing marking correct?

A lot of info there but I am setting the picture for help.
What am I doing so wrong?

Thanks in advance. (no pun intended )
PS. I can post a you tube of the mess I am in?

If you can't turn the point plate far enough then there is a good chance the cam chain is stretched so the cam is way off time or if on a fresh top end the cam chain is off one tooth.
Leo

I had the same problem. It took hours of searching the threads to find the answer. I had to close both points to .011 gap (yours might be different). Try closing it a little at a time. That retarded the timing enough to strobe it within spec. If you're too retarded on the timing I open the points gap. The other thing is to check the advanced timing rod. Take it out ,clean it, and re-grease with molly grease.

Agree with XSLeo.

That is seriously retarded. Either the camchain is severely stretched, or off by a tooth (about 20° crank angle per tooth). If this is a fresh rebuild, with new camchain, suspect being off by a tooth. If a used/worn engine, examine camchain tensioner and see how far it's been adjusted inward...

Back