Advice on putting my electronics in fake oil bag?

da evil one

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a bomb looking oil bag from Bung King for my electronics. Had the cap welded on one side and a sleeve welded into the other cap and some holes drilled with screws so I can remove that side for electronics. Looks slick. Now I've got to mount the Pamco coil and whatever capacitor and fuse needs I have inside. I have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions you guys have would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Why do you say that Pete? I think when I first started poking around on this forum 3 years ago guys were talking about lining them with felt and stuff but I digress. Is it the heat factor or...

da....,

Don't put the coil in the bag.....

The main reason is that heat is the main killer of electronics and when you put the coil in an enclosed area it gets hotter faster therefore reducing its output and life expectancy. I am using Mikes ultimate coil and wanted to get as much air flow as possible so I mouted it where the horn mounted:

full

the factory mounted them under the tank in the 80's, so it doesn't seem like it needs a lot of airflow moving around it, but fully enclosed is not a good idea.

The coil under the tank gets plenty of air, as the bike moves air flows up under the tank and over the head and out from under the rear of the tank. I have often thought lifting the tank an inch or so would help airflow. Help keep things even cooler.
The same goes for the combo reg/rec. If it gets warm or has fins keep it out in the open.
Leo

Well hells bells. I got the fake oil bag in hopes of keeping the electronics clean and simple but Im not gonna cook something in the process. Ive seen pics where people have put everything in there but Im assuming at this point its an at your own risk situation. The tank on this bike sits pretty low on the top of the motor and honestly Ive considered rewelding the tunnel to have it slammed on top of the motor. Im all about lines of a bike even if it is my first build...I know what looks good to me. So putting the coil on the bottom of the tank isnt gonna happen. What about mounting it and the reg on the bottom of the fake oil bag? That would keep things fairly clean and keep em in the wind and keep plug wires and things short. How is that? I attached a pic of the bike for suggestions if you have any. You can see the bomb looking fake oil bag under where the seat is gonna go.

Attachments

• DSCI1640.jpg
    DSCI1640.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 171
Well, most people don't know what an oil tank is anyway, so why bother with a fake one? Just mount the electronics under the seat and fab a couple of metal curtains on either side so they can't see the coil and reg/rect.

I've got a real oil tank on my '74 CB750 and it don't look like your fake one at all.

cb750 oil tank.jpg

No doubt it doesnt Pete. Thats a stock bike. Im gonna be riding on a solo seat so under the seat isnt gonna work. I dont think mounting the electronics under a bouncy solo seat is gonna work. Seems like all the guys that build XS bobs are using fake oil bags for their electronics. Im surprised you seem like thats new. Am I calling it the wrong thing?

da evil one,

Well, what I was trying to say was perhaps you should try something more original than a fake oil tank. When I suggested mounting the electronics under the seat, I meant on the frame under the seat with a metal side curtain on either side.

Back