Aftermarket Headlight Question

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
I bought this headlight from Lowbrow for use on my build:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1496

I has a standard dual-element H4 bulb in it, which is perfect, but it also has another small bulb in the lower part of the reflector housing. I'm not sure what that would be for. There are actually 5 wires on this headlight, 3 for the H4 and 2 for this little bulb. Maybe used for a running light? It's not very bright. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Kent

It's a parking light. Many, if not most, Euro bikes have them because they are required by law in many countries over there. Most of the bikes here only turn on the tail light when you put the key in the "Park" position.

On some of my old Euro bikes, the charging systems aren't that strong. They sell an H-4 bulb for that little parking light and you can run it instead of the headlight if you're in a "lights on" state. Draws less than the headlight so it's easier on the battery.

I'm glad at least that I bought new switchgear that has a Headlight/Parking Light/Off switch so you can progressive turn off lighting when starting and at idle. Might just hook that small bulb up to the Parking Light circuit. Thanks again!

Kent

Back