Ahhh! Running bike without air filter..

msellarole

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Simple question.

Yesterday I realized, to my horror, that there was no air filter attached to my left carburetor. It must have gotten loose and fallen off, I have no clue how. I am not sure how long I have been riding around without the left air filter, but the best estimate I have is around 3 weeks and 200 miles. I know running the bike without the air filter is terrible for the engine; I was so pissed when I realized it had fallen off.

My question is, what are the steps I can take at this point to mitigate any damage that has been done to the left carburetor/cylinder? I have ordered two new filters for both sides and my plan at the moment is to not ride the bike until both new filters are put in place (obviously). I was also planning on changing the oil to get rid of any gunk that would have been sucked into the engine. Is there anything else that you would recommend doing?

Riding around for 200 miles without an air filter? Yup, Im an idiot. Thanks for any advice you may have.

As long as you weren't riding down a bunch of dusty dirt roads, you probably haven't hurt anything. I do hope you've purchased the proper (UNI) replacements and not those cheapies. The cheap pods don't filter well anyway so are probably very similar to running with nothing.

The UNI you need will depend on the carb type you have. The BS34s and BS38s have different intake bell diameters. Yes, change the oil. It should be changed every 1000 miles, even if the filters don't fall off, lol.

Awesome. Thanks for the help everybody.

I have a 1982 bike and the corresponding CV BS34 carbs, so it sound like these filters will work well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-Foam-Ai...h=item56551fe605&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

I was originally planning buying the pod filters from MikesXS but I would love to avoid that $15 shipping charge, and if the UNI ones are thought to function better, sounds like a win win to me. Have people used these UNI filters on the BS34 carbs? Definitely a better choice than the pod ones from MikesXS (link below)?\

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-0035.html

Yes, the UNI is the pod filter of choice for these CV carbs. Don't get the ones from Mikes, they're crap and a total waste of money. I will make one more suggestion though. If your bike is basically stock and you have the room, I feel the slightly longer UP4229 or UP4229ST (dual layer) is a better choice. You get a slightly bigger filter and the cost is pretty much the same, maybe even a dollar or 2 less.

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

And a word on oiling these black foam pods. Don't use the specific foam filter oil, it's too thick and will clog them. Use a 50-50 mix of motor oil and gas.

5twins, thank you for the helpful post.

In your picture, what type of UNI filters are you using? UP4229? From the dimensions I have been looking up, it seems like both the UP4229 and UP4229ST are quite a bit longer than the pods from MikesXS and I am worried that they won't fit. However, the filters that you have pictured seems like they will work for me.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

I have the BS38 carbs so the filter pictured is the UP4200. However, it's the exact same filter as the UP4229, only the rubber mount I.D. differs. The foam portion on these measures 4" long so if you have 4" between your carbs and battery box, they should fit just fine.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help. I'll measure the space just to make sure and then get to ordering. Looks like I may have gotten out of this little predicament without doing too much damage. Phew..

Sorry to hijack but quick question I have a 78 that's stock except for pamco...changing to pod filters...would I have to reject carbs or anything???

Usually a little bit, yes. With filters as your only change, you may get away with just going up one on the mains. But you never know, you may need no changes. Only riding the bike after the change will tell you for sure.

Hey 5 twins how come your filters don't have a end cap? I had those chrome ones on the end and I had both fall off. So now I use tennis ball can tops superglued to the end. Are those different unis?

Yes, mine are different. They're the UP4200s (or UP4229 for BS34s) and don't come with the end cap. The end cap versions are the ones in that eBay link and are the PK-82s or PK-92s. The end caps have been changed from chrome to the black plastic or rubber now. Here's what's available .....

http://www.unifilter.com/clamp-on/

As I said, I prefer the 4200s (or 4229s) over the PKs if they'll fit because you get a bigger filter. In the case of air filters, bigger is better.

Back