All Ball Bearings kit part ID help

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi gents, I am switching out to tapered steering head bearings and have a question I hope you can weigh in on.

there are 2 washer/spacers and then what looks like a replacement dust seal, or a washer/spacer with some rubber on it.

- Thick washer and thin washer on the right
- washer with rubber ring around perimeter top left
- bearing with race lower left

Which washers/spacers should I use with the bearing and in what order?

Thanks as always.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 310
And this is the lower triple tree with stem. The original dust seal is still in place, and the lower race is on top of that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 259
www.biker.net has parts diagrams like this;

http://www.biker.net/78_650se_parts/650se_parts main.html

So;
-dust seal first to replace the one shown in our lower triple tree pic, the washer with the rubber attached to it
-2,6,3 is replaced with the larger taper bearing set, if they are different, too long since last replaced my own
-4,6,5 is replaced with the other taper bearing set
-washer, I would think the smaller outer diameter one first, then the larger diameter one. Don't remember there being two.
-then the original steel dust cover
-then the two lock nuts. Tighten bottom one to just allow movement of the triple tree with no free play and slight drag. Then use top one to lock the bottom one with out have the bottom one move while tightening. Sometimes hard to do.
-then the top triple tree
-last of course the bolt

They come per-greased but apply lots as they usually don't get much attention once installed. ha ha

Anyone do this re-fit lately and having to deal with the two washers may have better info.

Was there only one tapered bearing in this kit? Normally replace the top and bottom as a set.

Attachments

• Steering Head.jpg
    Steering Head.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Jay this kit looks more like what you need.

The other thing I been thinking about is the washers. The stamped steel cover, that is original and the last thing to go on before the two locking nuts, Should cover the area and overlap the top of the steering head. Check to see if no washers can be used or perhaps just one of the two washers. You just need enough height so the cover does not contact the steering head because it fits down too far. Get my thinking. Play with it to see how all fits together because too many washers may mean the top triple tree doesn't fit down far enough.

Good luck.

Attachments

• All Balls Racing.jpg
    All Balls Racing.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Thanks Brian your right on. I called Paul at all balls bearings and indeed I ordered the wrong set. The ones I order could work,but they're not the best ones. Allballs was great and we just exchanged them for the proper kit. Thanks again.

Back