All Balls conversion question

Unfocused

I Love Boobies
Reaction score
I have a line on a GSXR inverted fork set. I was just over at the All Balls web site looking for bearings and I kind of got lost. How do I read the site. I keyed in the drop down menu a 79 XS650 and it came up with all sorts of conversion kits for all kinds of forks. The ad lists these as New Sportech Forks for a GSXR600/750 1997/8/9. Price is very attractive and I am seriously thinking of getting them.

photo-2422.jpg

So I have a '79 XS650 Special and need to figure out first if the swap will work, and what I will require to do so.

If anybody here has experience with this please speak up. I know that some of you have gone through this already, Your experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

going by their website you should have a stem with a 30mm diameter. XS650 bearing outer diameter is 48mm, you want the thickest they make for the bottom and thinnest for the top.

on their website, select street, yamaha, xs650 then go down to suzuki, find your model forks your using and the year model.

I would suggest these bearings
30mm (ID) 48mm (OD) 12mm(Thick) part number 99-3515-5
Bottom
30mm (ID) 48mm (OD) 15mm(Thick) part number 99-3506-5

I used their bearing on my bike and they fitted exactly

Sweet thanks, I'll double check that. Now as to fitting the stem and triple clamps. Will I need to shorten the center/pivot bolt (not sure what its called, the middle one that goes through the neck)? Or do I swap something in its place of the GSXR piece?

On mine I didn't have to, I could just use the stock GSXR stem as in the picture you provided.
Simply remove the XS forks and bearings, clean all dirty grease out, install all balls bearing cups in XS stem, remove GSXR stem lower bearing, install all balls lower stem seal and bearing, install GSXR forks, install all balls upper bearing, seal and GSXR top fork clamp, reatining nut (may need some of the GSXR spacers on the top depending on the length of the stem poking through.

They would want to be very cheap for you to use something so old, can pick up 2007/8 onwards for not much which would be much better

Later years may not be compatible as the stem diameter changes and you can't get bearings to mate the stem to the XS neck.

I have a late 90's GSXR front end that I put on an SR500 frame - same bearing sizes as XS.

Putting the XS front wheel on the forks is an entirely 'nother matter. You're going to have to have an axle made among other things, or run a different front wheel.

Back