All legal now

pyroman

Pyroman
Reaction score
I am pumped today. Drinking My coffee, about to head out to the shop to reassemble My 79 XS 650. This is a bike I bought last month, already under construction. The PO had powdercoated the frame, and added a fg tail/seat section. Stock motor, no air filters. I powdercoated the lower fork legs, shaved the caliper mounts on the left one, drum rear. He had an extra set odf spoke wheels that He had pc black. I just installed new Bridgestone Trail Wings, and balanced. I pc the bars black also, and the rear pedal and kickstarter. I am not running any gauges, dont need no steenking gauges. Finally, yesterday, I went to the ins office and added it to My bike policy. With a clean record, and riding on the streets since 72- $13 a year for Liability coverage! Then proceeded to the DMV, and for once in My life, all the stars aligned, and I got an antique tag. Texas does not rquire a inspection sticker for Antique bikes. All You are requiresd to do is do a walk around before mounting the bike! Almost forgot, when I came back from DMV, My new Red Wing shocks from omars were sitting on the front porch. I also overhauled the front forks. The gas tank is at the body shop having a scratch in the new paint repaired. So today is going to be fun. Just put it all back together! I will post pics when I figure out how, hell I had trouble just signing up, right Travis! haha The bike in My avatar is the bike in question.:bike:

I forgot, I dug around in the shed and found an original set of "Green Weenie" air filters, like new, on My SL-350 project. Now, She can breathe filtered air!:wink2:

After I get it all put together , I will post up some before and after pics-once I figure out how! Gas tank will be finished Fri.

Maybe this will help: How to Post Pictures

Or maybe it'll just make it more confusing :laugh:

Basically, you can either host them elsewhere and link to them in your post.... or host them here either by attaching them to your post, or putting them in an album and then linking to them just like you would if they were hosted elsewhere.

Pyroman, If you can figure out how to upload an avatar, you can figure out how to post pictures.

Click 'Go Advanced' at the bottom of the message editor, then click the little paper clip icon.

:(Well, the best laid plans.....Started the morning by snapping off a bolt when mounting the disc on the freshly powdercoated front wheel. The wheel I took the disc off of had thru-holes , while the new wheel had blind holes, which werent deep enough for the original bolts I was re-using. My fault, no biggie. I cant find My EZ outs so I hop in My truck to go snag a new one. Backing out , I snagged the right side mirror on My F-150 and break the remote rear view mirror all the way friggin off......Grrrrr. On to the parts house, new EZ out in hand , I drill the 7/64ths hole to a good depth, install the ez out, and.....snap it off. The rest of the day went better. Got both wheels changed out, disc and sprocket swapped over, front end, headlight, handlebars re-installed. Exhaust system in place and ready to snug up. Tomorrow, new grips, air filters and oil change. Install seat/tail, mount new Antique plate, and wait for the gas tank which will be ready Friday. Hopefully, I wont be so ham-fisted tomorrow.:doh:

Rode My bike today after installing the freshly painted tank. The slightly longer rear shocks have the ass end up a little, gonna drop the legs in the triple trees half an inch. It is a blast to ride, if loud. First stiop sign I came to , a cop drove by and gave me the evil eye. I am legal except for no rear-view, and no baffles.:shrug: Short shifted around town , a guy in a Mustang tried to goad me into a race, but I am new to this bike, and I dont race on the streets anyway.:D Phase 1 makeover is complete. A Friend is going to stripe the tank at the Norton Rallye next week (I hope), then eventually want to re-phase, and get a little crazy wid it. Time to ride!:thumbsup:

Thanks, Travis. I have to give props to Pat, the Guy i bought the bike from. He did the actual build, I just changed some stuff to more of what i wanted. I have really just started on this bike. I put in 14 hours in the shop yesterday. Reminds Me of working on Helicopters, only this doesn't pay very good! I am leaving for the NTNOA Norton Rallye in a couple days, and am 3 days behind. Was going to take My Indian, but didn't have time to change oil, plugs, etc, so I am taking the Super Glide, XS650, and a 1980 XR80 ,just to scoot around the grounds on. They have classes for American, Pacific Rim and Other. Hope some of You Guys can make it , ask for Donson, and You can buy me a beer. See You Are Invited thread for details. I have another, identical Tracker already painted and Pcoated, that is ready to assemble, if I ever find the TIME:yikes:

Back