All powder bobber tank

dude-ler

76 XS650
Reaction score
Just finished this tank for my bobber build and couldn't resist puttin a photo up. It's all powder coating.

WWW.R3machineworks.com

Attachments

• TK6.jpg
    TK6.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 258
  • TK7.jpg
    TK7.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 223
  • TK3.jpg
    TK3.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 250
  • TK1.jpg
    TK1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Wow. I do all my own powder coating and i can certainly respect the work you put into that. Way above anything I have ever done. Great job. How many bakes did that take?

Wow. I do all my own powder coating and i can certainly respect the work you put into that. Way above anything I have ever done. Great job. How many bakes did that take?

Four total, I always double coat the clear right after the first coat starts to flow. I've seen some of your work, we're FB freinds beleive it or not.

So that's flat red PC? That would look good on a bike. The finished tank is a beauty-post of pics of the rest when its done.

John

For those of us doing this at home so are you willing to give us some step by step instructions and what materials you used for masking things off?

So that's flat red PC? That would look good on a bike. The finished tank is a beauty-post of pics of the rest when its done.

John

The red picture was taken at the point were I had just melted it enough to remove the decals so it is a gloss just not fully cooked. I might have to add flat additive and try that at some point. It does look cool flat.

For those of us doing this at home so are you willing to give us some step by step instructions and what materials you used for masking things off?

Well I'm not real good at the step by step pics but I did make an attempt this time. I have been experimenting with layering colors for a while. I found out quite by accident that some colors will bloom right though other layers and even carry into the clear coat at times. I've been trying to use this to my advantage and learning which powders work to block the effect can be helpful too. As for the stripe I used heat tape and I had my buddy with a vinyl plotter cut the numbers for me out of some standard decal material. It won't stand alot of heat so bake it just long enough to make the powder tacky then pull off the decal. A lot can go wrong durring this process so you have to be very careful and have a plan when you start. Good luck:thumbsup:

The red picture was taken at the point were I had just melted it enough to remove the decals so it is a gloss just not fully cooked. I might have to add flat additive and try that at some point. It does look cool flat.

Got it, thanks. Look forward to seeing the end.

John

Back