Allison's 81 "Ole Paint"

How many XS's is too many?

• Total voters
I can go with the 3-tone rattlecan job, but does she really want to keep the rototiller bars? You need some mid-rise tracker bars or some stock bars on there I think.
I know right?
She absolutely f'n loves them abortions. I was kinda going to do "period piece" as a dual purpose bike that I could use to knock around on, 2 tracks, mud, rain, etc. But them frick'n bars, I can NOT ride behind them. Add to the insult; I gotta find ANOTHER pair cuz these are bent.

That orange on the tank is showing through from when I acetone wiped paint off, the tank was originally on the "pumpkin bike" Some PO had painted it ORANGE AND GREEN STRIPES then the next guy rattle canned flat black on EVERYTHING, no masking just sprayed the whole fricking bike maybe the gauge faces and lights were covered.
The pumpkin bike I think I ahd already been working on it.
xsstuff 008.JPG

xsstuff 007.JPG

when it went to Blue moon customs, who just flipped it again.

82 hs 002.JPG

I tossed mine in the gah-bage. Along with the old grips which I cut off with a razor blade, I think it's the only item from my bike that i put absolutely zero interest into selling before I got rid of'em. I just didn't think the market was there. Guess I was wrong.

I don't throw those rototiller bars away, I cut them up and make USEFUL stuff out of them. They are absolutely no good for their original intended purpose, lol .....

DHandles3.jpg

DHandles.jpg

THandle.jpg

This looks "special" should make removal interesting.
20170509_102308.jpg

1494343653680-1385998501.jpg

Mmm new partz.

Last edited:
Those JT sprockets look nice. I was thinking of trying them next time. Have you used them before?

Typical brake cam shaft was rusted in place.
Exhaust was no problem welds were already broke.

Attachments

• 1494345290720563533286.jpg
    1494345290720563533286.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 150
Shoes not so much. Typical wet, neglect issues.

Attachments

• 1494346036148-1366605230.jpg
    1494346036148-1366605230.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 147
Very nice Gary!

And Mailman - love those ApeHangers! With the right rider....those would be very....picturesque. ;)

Got a few things done, swing arm pulled, found one that had been kept greased so cleaned painted installed with original bushings it's tight no slop, chain and sprockets on, new shocks from Jaydela, cover cleaned buffed, worm cleaned, greased, reinstalled, gotta pull alternator, clean, test, reassemble then the cover can go back on with new motion pro clutch cable (motion pro comes a "less bent" elbow!) 5twins mentioned STP so may try that as a cable lube. Sold the wheels that were on it to MikeyPikey and will go with a 19-18 set with slightly wider rim SS spokes and Michelin tires I had removed from the restomod.
Fork seals, clean up, front brake are next.

DSCN7302.JPG
DSCN7304.JPG

Before the LH cover went on I R&R'd the alternator. removed the stator to check brushes clean and ohm out the rotor. Bike shows 14K miles someone had been in this before me stator had been off, rotor slip rings cleaned up probably fresh brushes. Rotor had been removed and reinstalled But....
DSCN7315.JPG

Bet you can guess which one was reading .9 ohm!!

DSCN7317.JPG

Bike could not have been charging and probably would not run for more than a couple minutes. Won't be surprised to find other components and or wiring failures. I think this is part of what is know as a cascade failure one part goes bad overloading other parts of the system which then also fail. My guess here is continuing to run the bike with a failed battery. Timing; with the stator in place and located by the pin it still can be "twisted" through several degrees. Guess if you are being fussy a piston based TDC check should be done. I biased the movement toward retarded timing and called it good for now. New Motion Pro clutch cable in. Pic of the motion pro 05-0013, an exact replacement for the "long" special cable, note the "elbow" is slightly less bent as manufactured, cool! I made a "lube" with a mix of some 20-50 motor oil and lithium grease dripped in with an electrical tape funnel. New gasket and somewhat buffed up cover back on.
DSCN7307.JPG

I think this will be the exhaust, a pair of "dunstall" reverse cone mufflers that are a "no bushing" fit on smaller OD early headers. I think these small inlet mufflers used to be a mikes part # but they are no longer listed on the site. They may be Emgo's, I got them used off a member years ago.
20170514_185834.jpg

Allison prefers the 81-83 special cast aluminum grab bar so that's what it gets.

Last edited:
Yeah, nice exhaust happening there. Tins need some real paint, just surprise her, what could she say? Flat black if she doesn't like your choice of color.

Scott

Back