Almost done and now no compression?!?! HELP!!

The Riverbug

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to finish my bike and sent it to a garage to find out I have low compression. 30 on one side 55 on the other. Had all new gaskets put in before, new wire harness, new paint etc.
Go figure right. Anyone know a good ring kit and any other stuff I'd need to do a good job?

Attachments

• user11132_pic13658_1370549942.jpg
    user11132_pic13658_1370549942.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
That's really low, lower than most bad engines. How did you test it? Did you have the throttle wide open for the test? If not, then you might get low readings. But still, that seems really low.

That's really low, lower than most bad engines. How did you test it? Did you have the throttle wide open for the test? If not, then you might get low readings. But still, that seems really low.

I took it to a shop to do the final touches. I am not sure how he did it.

I took it to a shop to do the final touches. I am not sure how he did it.

When I got it, it ran but barely. Since I rebuilt carb, had new gaskets put in motor. New wiring harness etc. When the other guy did the gaskets and chain guide he probably should have noticed(different guy).

Sounds like you found 2 bad mechanics... get a compression tester and learn how to use it. (at least rent one from from the auto parts store)

I'm off this week end and I have a compression tester. If you want I can come down and help you test.
Leo

In a wedding and won't have the bike back until sunday afternoon. I have to pick it up near Hubbardsville. Would be very interested though on another day. I know you know your stuff and would like you to check it out! You'd be proud man she's really comin around! (besides the junk motor) Thanks!!

The paint looks much better than the olive drab it had.
Let me know when it's at home and we can get together.
Leo

The paint looks much better than the olive drab it had.
Let me know when it's at home and we can get together.
Leo

Found out it was the first guy who had the timing off by 90 degrees.
Now have this electrical deal going on. I must have screwed something up in the headlamp area. When I try to kick start it, it will blow the fuse leaving the hot wire (red) very hot. She's one of the best looking P.O.S.'s for her age. Hope to catch up with you at some point. Thanks Leo!!!

Attachments

• Photo228.jpg
    Photo228.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 71
Back