1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Alternator/Left Crankcase Cover Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by itsmattyc, May 26, 2020.

1. itsmattyc

itsmattyc Chase The Sunset

Hi all,

I purchased my XS650 without any bolts for the Alternator/Left Crankcase Cover and haven't been able to find them on the threads. Does anybody know the size/dimensions of the 6 bolts or if there is a kit online where I could buy them?

Thanks!
    Matthew Alternator Cover-Circled.jpg

2. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

2020-05-26-19-17-www.partzilla.com.png
    Conveniently Yamaha reveals the bolt size in the description!
    so 4) 6mm x 25mm
    and 2) 6mm x 40mm
    About every bolt seller in the land will have these allen heads!
    If you choose stainless a bit of anti-seize is a good idea, stainless tends to corrode aluminum. Tho after years of using stainless I haven't had an issue removing a bolt...
    Also a good idea to flush out holes with a bit of spray cleaner.
    If the bolts start to bind, repeat the spray cleaner and perhaps run a bottoming tap in and out, go easy!.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Greyandridin and itsmattyc like this.
  4. itsmattyc

itsmattyc Chase The Sunset

Thank you so much! For anyone looking for the other screws (for the Yamaha cover) you can find them on MikesXS part 24-1197 :)
    Safe Travels

Greyandridin likes this.
  5. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Conveniently Yamaha reveals the bolt size in the description!

Thanks gggGary ! I've used Partzilla OEM parts #'s to go searching on the internet for parts but didn't know how to figure out bolt sizes using the parts numbers
    Time to add another thread to the hundreds of XS650 book marks I have already

gggGary likes this.
  6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I like to use slightly longer screws for the round cover. The 10mm long screws Yamaha used are too short and don't reach all the way through the threaded tabs they go into. They don't utilize all the threads available to them .....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Greyandridin and gggGary like this.