Alternator Puffing White Smoke

pablohoney

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all!
I recently pulled off my stator cover to check the timing only to find the alternator smoking. I tested the stator and rotor with a multimeter only to find all the readings to be solid. I don't see any places on that look burnt or signs of rubbing, the only thing I see is that the rotor has some cracks in it. Pictured are the largest two. There are a few more but they are all small. Could that be it, and do I need a new rotor? Thanks!

Attachments

• P1080004.jpg
    P1080004.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 163
  • P1080007.jpg
    P1080007.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 152
Are you sure it was the rotor that was smoking? I have that too, but in my case it's the result of a, habitual little oil weep that causes some "secondary" faint wisping. Any oil traces on your case or headers in that area?

TC

Not sure that it is the rotor, the smoke just seems to be bellowing out through the stator around the rotor. I don't see any oil on my headers or case.

^Does the smoke smell like oil or does it smell acrid like burning insulation?

^I'm glad to see that available to the general public. I'd heard the rumors about it.

In a pinch you can use cigarette smoke, but if it comes out again you won't be able to tell whether it's oil or burning insulation by using your nose.

Ha ha ha. Smoke in wires... Classic!

Unfortunately I will need that smoke in a jar cause it is definitely not oil, I started it up again and saw ORANGE LIGHT!! Took it off and these (pictured) wires were warm. Any way to replace them without replacing the whole stator?

Attachments

• Pic0161.jpg
    Pic0161.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 156
I just rewired my bike and went for the PMA conversion. I have a 1975 stator and a 2 year old rewound rotor. PM me if you are interested.

Any way to replace them without replacing the whole stator?

I would take some electrical measurements to make sure the problem was the stator (which it probably is). You can look for breaks in the insulation where the orange was where it might have been shorting to the housing. Have to evaluate it. If you pitch it, remember to get the brushes out :) and also salvage the brush holder, and it it's an 80+ take the pickup off it to have as a spare.

YOU LET THE SMOKE OUT!!!!!!!!
Anyways.......if you pitch your stator, strip the copper out of it. gotta be worth a pack of smokes or a 6er of good beer.

^That's right! A lb of copper and you didn't have to strip any phone poles or steal an air conditioner.

Thanks for the advice! Sorry for the delay, school just started up, so I have been busy with that. But i found where the insulation was missing, think i could use some liquid electrical tape and seal it up. Fingers crossed. thanks

Back