Alternator wiring

Take Warning15

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
How are the wires from the stator/ brushes routed under the side cover? Behind the chain, through, or over it? I can't remember how it goes and I'm afraid that the wires are going to get caught up in the chain. Anyone have pictures?

Thru the grommet, under sprocket cover,along front of sprocket and under to the frame, then back up frame to wiring harness or regulator/rectifier

Peanut raised this very same question a couple months ago. If you search his threads/posts, you'll find info and pics, especially of that often-missing rear harness clip...

I've seen this done incorrectly and it's not a pretty site, lol. The chain chews through those wires very nicely. After coming out of the alternator compartment through a grommet, the harness runs back against the case wall and under the shift shaft. It fits into the space between the shaft and the starter gear housing and is held in there by the shift shaft protector (red arrows). When it exits out the back from there, it fits into a clip attached to the case (blue arrow) and then exits out the rear. It then gets attached to the main frame backbone down tube with a wire tie (green arrow). This holds it away from the chain .....

AltWires.jpg

I've seen this done incorrectly and it's not a pretty site, lol. The chain chews through those wires very nicely. After coming out of the alternator compartment through a grommet, the harness runs back against the case wall and under the shift shaft. It fits into the space between the shaft and the starter gear housing and is held in there by the shift shaft protector (red arrows). When it exits out the back from there, it fits into a clip attached to the case (blue arrow) and then exits out the rear. It then gets attached to the main frame backbone down tube with a wire tie (green arrow). This holds it away from the chain .....

AltWires.jpg

Just wondering 5twins how the clip with the blue arrow gets attached to the case? I see the spot on the case where it should go but i don't believe i have the clip.

They were sort of peened on there. Many have fallen off by now. The clip has a rectangular slot in it that fits on a raised rectangle shaped area on the case. That part of the case that sticks through the clip slot is then just hammered and peened down to hold the clip in place. Not the best attachment method for sure. After you bend the clip open and closed a few times while removing or installing the harness, it loosens up. Eventually, it falls off, lol. I don't mess with mine. I have it set so it's tight enough to hold the harness but loose enough to slip it out. That way I never have to bend it.

Back