Alum Boxed Swing Arm

tbrenan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
the attached shows a boxed arm made exclusivley for the XS650 it may be consider pricey but it is affordable to me considering what it brings in handling

The V-H Racing Swing Arm includes Front Needle Bearings , Sleeve, Dust Caps, Rear Axle Shaft Castle Nut, & Adjusters … Clean & Lube ALL before assembly, & AFTER you have painted or powder coated the S/A. Simply unbolt your Original Swing Arm & Slide the V-H Unit into position, re-using your Cleaned & Re-Lubed Pivot Bolt, Washers & Nut. The 17mm Rear Axle Provided is not the same 20mm diameter as your stock Axle, & you will need to fabricate spacers to fit YOUR particular Wheel / Hub Application. The Stock Rear XS wheel bearings are 20mm & would need to be converted to a 17mm bearing (available through almost any NAPA or Bearing Store - VERY easy swap). V-H Racing can provide “Raw” 17mm Aluminum Spacer Stock, that can be easily cut or turned to fit YOUR Wheel. The Right Front Arm has a provision that can be used As-Is, or EASILY Adapted to fit “most” Brake Stay Arms. The 3-Position LOWER SHOCK Mounts will accommodate many, but not all Shocks Absorbers. The Width Measurement is a compromise for those wishing to use the Stock Upper Shock Mounts, or Re-position the upper mounts further Rearward for a more “Upright” Shock position.

Currently Pre-Sold Orders take approx 3 - 4 weeks to complete ... USD $319.95 in media blast / primer finish, or $359.95 in Powdercoated (almost any color) finish. Insured Shipping ANYWHERE in the Cont US is 20.00. / Canada is 40.00.

You can pay with Check, Money Order or PayPal (although PP requires an "extra" 3% to cover their fees).

Overall length = 22"; Rear inner width = 8.5"; Rear to front Crossbrace = 16.5". Center of Front Pivot to Center of Axle Slot Adjustment = 19.5". They WILL accept a WIDE 19" Goodyear Flattrack Racing Tire on a WIDE rim ... (approx 7" wide).

Photos below.

Call anytime ... 303-810-3827 ...Thank You !!

Go to Vintage Flat Track web page items for sale look at last post in third column ---first bikes. then street, then third column

Pictures didn't show up but it sounds interesting. If its a 17mm axle it's obviously not "made exclusively for xs650" though. Sounds like another sr500 arm like the motolana one. I looked into that one and found no bearing that could adapt the right side of the xs650 hub to a 17mm axle. Do you have a part # for the one you're talking about?

These?

07-01-14-YamSwingArms.jpg

They are reworked Radian arms?

Talked (email) to the vender aways back.

With all the threads asking about a better swing arm this--for me fits the bill----simple bolt on no machining, adjustment, or screwing arount --pricey yes --but all the threads have not produced anything so simple and correct-----if anyone has something in this style to offer---where are they--there are a lot of forum members looking for a swingarm upgrade this one is a simple bolt on------

I'm not complaining about the price or saying other swingarms are better (although the motolana one does look a lot nicer and is just as "bolt on"). I'm just asking a simple question: You said it's a "VERY easy swap" to change the bearings in an XS650 rear hub to fit a 17mm axle. Well let's see it. I googled forever and called a local bearing supply company and nobody could do it. The closest google result I found was that some type of bosch alternator uses a bearing that's very close in size but it's a looser tolerance grade than your typical wheel bearing, there's no matching oil seal, and nobody I talked to had any idea how to get one anyways. But it wouldn't be the first time some lazy guy at a desk told me what I wanted didn't exist and he turned out to be wrong, so if you know of an easily available bearing like you said, well let us know man.

Last edited:
I think most people would use a rd or xs400 back wheel as these are already 17mm axles,

Why not machine the swing arm to fit the larger axle?

+1 on that. I have a Radian swing arm and I refit some adjusters (from a CBR IIRC) and opened up the slots to fit the XS axle, no big deal. I have not relocated the shock mounts yet and that does need to be done. I think a little of what's going on here is a question about what the OP is doing? Is this just a hey this looks like a good idea thread or is it an ad for the swing arm? No big deal either way but if it is an ad maybe it should in the Shops or classified section?

radian%20swingarm%20002.JPG

radian%20swingarm%20009.JPG

Axle length is an issue too.

I bought my longer axle on ebay. Early model CB750. It cost me more for shipping than the axle. Local machine shop cut more threads on it, drilled out the adjusters and the chrome adjuster plates for $50. I was happy with that. I opened up the axle slots myself. One note, the chrome Radian axle adjuster plates are left and right sides. One is sized to fit the axle shaft diameter, the other sized to fit the thread diameter.

Gary, I didn't move the shock mounts. I plan/hope to get a longer than 13 3/8 shock. These 2 pics are not taken from the same angle, but you can somwhat see the different angle of the shocks with the oem and Radian arm. This is also a Special frame. The top shock mount is forward more than the standard frame, but I don't know how much.

24bars4-1.jpg

radianarm4.jpg

If it was that easy, this outfit should be buying and selling the bearings, one stop shop. I'm selling parts for a mod that I do, but if you want to put in the muscle, I'll sell ya the bushings and spacers. A dollar is a dollar. I buy them by the dozen for less than 2 bucks each, and sell them for 10 bucks. I make more off a pair than I have in them, but it's still cheaper for the other guy to get them from me. Capitolism!

Note; the shock mounts are further apart on the radian swing arm than the XS650 frame top shock mount location.

Gary, I know you are correct, but when I mounted the arm and swung it it up to the shocks lower eyes, they were right inline. If I was going to really put miles on this, I'd look after that.

You're ahead of me Dave, I don't have the swing arm in a frame......
PS if you REALLY want a bolt on stiffer swing arm either a TX750 arm or a welded on brace from Joe wise guy on the west coast are "no machine work needed" options. (he does state "remove the rear footpeg mounts") Joe will do extended arms also.
And yes the thread title is misleading at best.

$(KGrHqNHJEIE-nvvrHwdBPuvYhGsVQ~~60_12.jpg

I used the Radian arm just cause it being square looks blingeyer {is that a word?} and racier! I did think about the add on brace. Rear foot peg mounts will come off.

I hear you there Dave. The TX750 arm is like peeing in a dark pair of pants. It gives you a warm feeling but nobody will notice!

It's coming, a little today then 8 to 15" Thursday and turning cold, but mainly south to central Wisconsin not the "north woods". Been "stacking up" the XS collection to get the van in the shed, have to put the snow tires on today.

Back