Am I missing something really simple or am I being really simple LOL

wymondham1979

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bike was a little finicky to get into gear so it took off the side panel and found the worm gear housing was broken and the previous owner was using a bolt to push the clutch rod after reading various threads on this forum measured the distance from casing to end of push rod 1-10/16 so she was missing the 5-16 internal ball bearing(both balls really)
I bought a new clutch pushrod ,ball ,worm gear, cable and put them on the problem I have is the cable appears too short with the adjusters all the way in if I connect the cable to the worm it pushes it out so I can't get the cover on

Am I missing something really simple or am I being really simple LOL

Many Thanks

also does the pushrod actally go into the worm? as the thinner part dosent on my worm

Attachments

• 148_0284.JPG
    148_0284.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 126
I think (not sure without actually trying it) you need to take your worm gear out and rotate it one tooth clockwise as viewed from the inside. That will put your attachment point closer to the cable and put some tension on the return spring.

Hi Downeaster thanks
the worm only has four positions of rotation I have tried them all more times than is sensible for my mental health LOL

two put the cable hook over to the right and the other option (in the picture) is a straight it's a bit of a quandary as the rod measurement is correct with new ball new rod ,new worm I am stumped !!!

Any suggestions most welcomed other than sell the bike LOL

Attachments

• 148_0305.JPG
    148_0305.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 123
Yes the thin part needs to go in till the end of the rod touches the ball bearing. Are all the cable "pins" in their "sockets" If you have gone to the one piece push rod there is only the ball bearing in the worm and one at the clutch end. Is the handle bar end threaded adjuster all the way in?

Hi yes the cable adjusters are at fully in both ends

the measurement at the end of the rod from the engine casing is 1-15/16 (one long rod one ball)

the rod doesn't actually slide inside the worm just presses against the ball in the worm is this correct?
thanks

Attachments

• 148_0291.JPG
    148_0291.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 124
  • 148_0289.JPG
    148_0289.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 113
Pictures are so cool I'm not sure what clutch cable you have but it appears to have an adjuster at the case end bend, is that all the way in? Here's a pic of a working set up, sorry the cover was in the parts washer but not cleaned up.

clutch cable.jpg

Oh wait you are missing something really simple.
Remove the chrome cap on the outside of the cover, loosen the lock nut, back the screw out. Then install the cover and adjust the screw in till it touches, back it off 1/4 turn, hold while tightening the lock nut. That should be it.

Hi gggGary the lock nut, and the screw are backed out all the way in fact I have just removed them completly they are not in the worm
Are you saying the rod actually slides inside the worm? if so mine doesn't see the pictures
The rod doesn't go past the little lips bits that hold the ball in place? Should it slide in ?
thanks

Attachments

• 148_0314.JPG
    148_0314.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 148_0311.JPG
    148_0311.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 97
Yes the rod should pass through the "crimps" Let me guess here; it's a brand new worm from MikesXS? Perhaps our little Chinese brother was a bit enthusiastic with the arbor press when making the crimps. Remove the nut, screw, and ball bearing, enlarge the hole past the crimps a bit with a round file until the reduced end of the rod will pass freely, try to remove the metal evenly from all four crimps, you should be good to go.

worm.jpg

This a pretty typical "adjusted for clearance" worm

I think it could go in further. It is hitting the squared retaining hole isn't it.
Drop the ball out of the screw side and clean up that hole with a drill bit.
If retention of the ball is a problem glue it in with grease.

Spot on as usual guys A ****** all round
That little Chinese brother had something else on his mind LOL certainly not the poor sod trying to get the bike up and running for the last few days of rideable weather in the uk .
I contacted the supplier and its a faulty one he's posting a new one off tommorrow
so thats very good sevice
thanks for all the help

maybe my son will let me have a ride on his bike and no clutch LOL

Attachments

• DSC00825 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00825 - Copy.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 108
Just a little tip use the inner mount hole for the cable mount on the worm. It makes the clutch work better. Opens the pressure plate further. The outer hole will reduce the lever pull slightly but not much. The better clutch action is worth the extra pull.
Leo

Back