Amsoil recommendations 10w50

Leslie

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of my North American cousins use Amsoil in there bikes, if so thoughts please
amsoil 2.jpeg

I used to use Amsoil in my Sportster, but it's too expensive to use in a bike with no true filtration that you change the oil in every two or three thousand miles. I recommend conventional, 4-stroke, motorcycle-specific, 20W-50 oil. I change oil at two K miles.

Do any of my North American cousins use Amsoil in there bikes, if so thoughts pleaseView attachment 252775
I run it in my '05 Harley Road King and it is a great product for that, but most on this forum do not recommend it on XS650's due to clutch issues and as @DogBunny said, without a filtration system, you need to change the oil regularly anyway.

Lads, thanks for the advice I have fitted a external cartridge filter kit (Smedspeed UK), I have had a pephased 750cc upgrade (Smedspeed) and i want to look after it. i dont mind spending a few quid on my oil.

Running

Attachments

• sump filter kit smedspeed.jpg
    sump filter kit smedspeed.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Smedspeed filter 1.jpg
    Smedspeed filter 1.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 31
Nice Bike.

I love oil threads...:hump: When I had my XS650 I used the 20W50 oil from a couple of good suppliers but they still get chewed through quite quickly. I have read somewhere that it is the roller bearings on the crank that do the damage breaking down the oil - probably breaks down the viscosity control polymer component (Correct me if this is an old wives tale). I found the oil needed changing at about 1200 miles. You will know when it is time to change because the engine gets noticeably noisy when hot. I have had this happen at 900 miles with one brand. Using the 10W50 will be an advantage during Winter with startup. I use Morris Race VTwin 20W50 in my Virago. The VTwin part implies the higher temperature additive package which my be beneficial for the XS.

Last edited:
Nice Bike.

I love oil threads...:hump: When I had my XS650 I used the 20W50 oil from a couple of good suppliers but they still get chewed through quite quickly. I have read somewhere that it is the roller bearings on the crank that do the damage breaking down the oil - probably breaks down the viscosity control polymer component (Correct me if this is an old wives tale). I found the oil needed changing oil at about 1200 miles. You will know when it is time to change because the engine gets noticeably noisy when hot. I have had this happen at 900 miles with one brand. Using the 10W50 will be an advantage during Winter with startup. I use Morris Race VTwin 20W50 in my Virago. The VTwin part implies the higher temperature additive package which my be beneficial for the XS.
Putoline do a V-Twin specific oil, semi synthetic with JASO & MA2. i will check the temperature range of each. I will check out the Morris option. Being a rephased 277 I would imagine the running characteristics are very similar to a V-Twin.

Attachments

• Putoline V-Twin 1.jpg
    Putoline V-Twin 1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Putoline V-Twin 2.jpg
    Putoline V-Twin 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 22
With the VTwin engines the rear cylinder gets a little less cooling so runs hotter, hence the higher temperature stabilization package for the oil.

I hope you will not be disappointed when you find the rephase has removed a lot of that soothing vibration...

With the VTwin engines the rear cylinder gets a little less cooling so runs hotter, hence the higher temperature stabilization package for the oil.

I hope you will not be disappointed when you find the rephase has removed a lot of that soothing vibration...
Paul, done 100 miles plus this morning, just dropped the oil, thats it now till next spring as i am re-working the front end

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 26
So how smooth was the XS with a rephase?

I have previously searched Ebay UK for 20W40 oil (Original Summer XS650 specification) and only found one supplier in Germany. Just did another search and several have shown up based in the UK. There must have been a lot of enquiries over the past couple of years from owners of old Japanese bikes.

Last edited:
So how smooth was the XS with a rephase?

I have previously searched Ebay UK for 20W40 oil (Original Summer XS650 specification) and only found one supplier in Germany. Just did another search and several have shown up based in the UK. There must have been a lot of enquiries over the past couple of years from owners of old Japanese bikes.
I was told by the late Dick Russell (Grizld1) that the rephase just moves the vibration to a different RPM range, higher.

For anyone who has fitted the sump oil filter kit, I have found a compatible Yamaha filter, i will be using from now on every oil change, same height and fitment

Attachments

• smedspeede sump filter kit2.jpg
    smedspeede sump filter kit2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 28
  • sump filter kit smedspeed.jpg
    sump filter kit smedspeed.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Yam Filter 2.jpg
    Yam Filter 2.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Yam Filter 3.jpg
    Yam Filter 3.jpg