And the rattle continues...

jonez2k1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 79' 650 special has been giving me the "rattles" every since I bought it..
I installed Mike's starter gear repair kit, yet she still rattles.
I'm no mechanic, but I can turn a lil wrench so could someone please direct me as to what else I should be looking at here, or what else this could be?
Hopefully it's not but if it could be somethin big, shoot it to me straight..
Thanks

***I plan on squeezing the wishbone and pulling the spring a little today (which I shouldve already done) to see if that helps.
:wtf:

I installed Mike's starter gear repair kit, yet she still rattles.
...plan on squeezing the wishbone and pulling the spring a little today
:wtf:

i put that kit in several years ago and it had a new wishbone, pre-squeezed.

I think rattle is more or less normal and I doubt there's much practical fixing for it. What the kit fixed was a really crazy sound and the starter sometimes not turning the bike over.

That's the problem mine is having.. It's not turning over. Sounds like it's trying to crank (turn over) only once when the starter button is pressed and it just rattles from there on...

i put that kit in several years ago and it had a new wishbone, pre-squeezed.

I think rattle is more or less normal and I doubt there's much practical fixing for it. What the kit fixed was a really crazy sound and the starter sometimes not turning the bike over.

^ In that case squeezing the wishbone is supposed to be the fix. Weird that the kit didn't do anything.

It might be something else. I remember in the tech section there's a good rundown of the whole starter train. Maybe a gear is stripped.

You can try the starter with the cover off, etc., to see it it's fixed yet, and it won't cause a problem as long as you do something to keep the bike from starting without oil in it...

Back