another 650 bobber build

Alphaogre

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I thought id post up my project since i made some good progress this weekend.

Its a 82 650 motor and the frame started off as a 71 yamaha 175 enduro. I chopped the frame and made it a hard tail, and cut the front portion of the frame and re did the back bone to fit the motor.

Its a pretty short wheel base and the bike is only about 3.5 inches off the ground. Its going for looks not practicality.

I wasn't planning on putting a 650 motor in originally, but i came upon the motor for $200 and jumped on it, and now I'm adjusting the project accordingly.

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

That's different! pretty cool! Are you worried about that seat hitting the rear tire when you hit a good bump? I hope you have plans for a rear fender. It kind of looks like a mini bike with an XS650 motor. Should be fun to mess around on!

- interesting and nicely compact

- how close will carb clearance be? - will you need to splay them for clearance like jay has done using joe wise-guy manifolds?

The seat will be about a couple of inched above the fender which will be about and inch and a half above the tire. The rear fender will start at the swing arm and only go about 4 inches past the seat as you can see in the pic.

As for the big bumps I'm just gunna have to make sure more of my weight is on my pegs...with the bike being so low, it wont be able to go over speed bumps the well anyway...

I'm 6"4" so I will be very hunched over looking while riding it, but that's why I put the down bars on it. I kind of like that old board track racer look...

As for the carbs...they are going to have to be separated with turnouts to give clearance. then I'm going to put the trumpet intakes on them and i think the carb set up will in the end really help make the bike gain that older style and look. I'm going for post WW2 Bobber style/ board track racer vibe.

Any tips and tricks on running the cabs is welcome. Since this is my first bike build I'm a bit like a fish out of water with the motor. But I have worked with carb set ups on VW's and my old corvair so I'm not totally obtuse as to the concept of them.

IMG_1642.jpg

If you have some money laying round, it wouldn't be all that hard to put a set of Mikuni 34mm VM carbs on there from 650 Central with the turn out intake manifolds from Wise Guys. He'll even send the carbs with the jetting close based on what you're running for exhaust and air filters (or lack of air filters)

interesting looking project,have you had the chain on it yet,probably an optical illusion but in the big picture it looks as though the chain is going to run straight through the swing arm.

I'm going to have to agree with Jay760 on the chain looking like it's going to be a problem.. Might have to run a roller on the bottom run of the chain to push/hold it up above the swingarm. Actually I don't even know if you have room for that since you're using a swingarm for the lower part of the hardtail. On most bikes I can think of, there isn't room to run the chain between the wheel and swingarm like there would be with a hardtail rear section.. I'm curious on how this is going to turn out.

Have some updates on the bike...fully mounted the motor gas tank (harly sportster tank) and seat, along with the pegs and kick stand...

The pics are from the mock up and we finished in the dark...ill try and get some finished pics tonight.

but you can see how it will basically end up...

CIMG0041.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

So now I need a hit list of what it takes to get it running. that's the next goal...have a running motor. This is where your input would be much much much appreciated. especially on where to buy most of this stuff?

The motor has pressure when you slowly push down the kick start. so this is what i am thinking i need:

- new spark plugs ( if needed)
- carb linkage
- break and clutch leavers (that fits 1 inch diameter bars)
- break and clutch cables
- exhaust
- The points / igniter box
- Air filters
- Throttle (that fits 1 inch diameter bars)
- Battery

What else? and where can I get some of this stuff?

Yea we were looking at it on Saturday.

I was always going to converge the old swing arm in to part of the hard tail...I did it like this since I have never built a bike before and I didn't have a jig. So it kept things true while I did the upper part.

Anyway, when I weld and brace the lower swing arm portion in to the frame I am going to cut out the left side corner of the current swing arm and then the chain will just need a roller or guide and it should look like below when its finished.

chain1.jpg

Good deal. Just making sure that you had a plan! I understand. No worries. How does the engine run?

Not sure...that's the next step. I bought the engine as it sits in the bike. It has good compression though, you can hear it working if you push the kick start down slowly.

Getting it to run is what I may need help with...

Well whenever you get there man. Just post up as much info as you can about what's going on if you can't get it there. Someone will have the answer.

Interesting looking bike...That ground clearance makes me a little nervous though...

Last edited:
Back