Another Annoying NEWB question

TOROLOCO

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello. i'll post a formal introduction later with my project pictures and all that good stuff later. I would like to point out that i am completely new to motorcycles, i do not ride but decided i wanted to take this opportunity to build one and ride the hell out of it on completion:thumbsup:. I bought this project and the PO states that the engine runs great the bike is basically a rolling chassis that needs wiring and some little things here and there. Well my question is what is the simplest wiring i can do to just get the engine to kick over?. It is a kickstart only by the way. I want to know it runs before i put some serious capital into it. Thanks.

oh yeah sorry i forgot to mention that:doh: it's a 78, i don't know if its a special or not. I have coils for the spark plugs and i think it's a points set up...again im sorry for the trivial questions....there will be more to come, but i'll try to keep them at a minimum.

If it's stock it's points. Here is a schematic that I used to test my PMA and Reg/rect set up before conjoining the ignition and charging systems.

Someone will have to correct it for the points though as I have no idea what the wire colors are.

Attachments

• xs650-1-3.jpg
    xs650-1-3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 149
haha...im pretty naive, i like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But yes i know my biggest mistake was buying blindly. The frame isn't even the original one and it seems to be a bit narrow and short, i'll post pics tomorrow but for the price it seemed like a steal. Im from southern california and here an XS goes for about half a million dollars, non-running. If it runs i keep, if not i'll sell bottom line.

If it's kick start only then the engine has to be 70 or 71 and it would be points ignition unless it's been converted wich is unlikely if it's in a 77 frame unless somebody put an aftermarket ignition in it.

ok...sorry im the master of leaving out critical info. It is a 78 but the PO took out the Starter motor and turned it into a kickstart only. I have the starter motor and all the other things he took out...the dude seemed pretty honest, he just came on hard times.

ok, sorry i haven't updated but i haven't had time to wire her up. quick question...when wiring do i have to wire in a killswitch to stop the engine? and do i have to the regulator and rectifier if im only trying to get the engine to kick over? All i want to do is hear her run before i build her up.

how else you going to stop it? If you are using an alligator clamp as part of your wiring I guess that is a kill switch.

thanks gary, i was just wondering if i could kill the engine by just turning off the ignition. ok i should hopefully get this thing underway soon. thanks everyone

Just to hear it run you can run a hot wire from the battery to the coils. A switch and a fuse inline is a good idea.
This diagram shows how to wire points, TCI, reg/rec both ways.
To just make it run just hook the hot wire where the kill switch is.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 120
Back