Another charging question

79xs650rider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok I have been riding the bike now for a week without issues...then today it started to pop check battery charge 11.6 with headlight on....bike running 11.3 rev the bike up my meter drops to 7 then bounces around from 7 to 15 then will stay steady at 11 for about 3 seconds then starts bouncung around again...any thoughts...and THANKS AGAIN....JD

ok read curlys guide found I had a bad rotor so I replaced it... then I decided to do the radio shack rectifer and crysler regulator...I got the rectifiers wired but Im confused on how to wire the regulator I wired it how I thought it said... run a wire from the inner brush to 12v power Ign did that then hooked brown wire and green wire up the way it showed and grounded the regulator to frame....started the bike was charging then I rev it up had very high voltage burned out headlight and tail light.... so my question is how do i wire up the regulator were did I go wrong...sorry for the long post...tryed to explain the best i could....thanks JD

Ok I have read all that... Im just confused on were to run the wire from the now isloated inner brush with fuse..do I run it to brown wire 12v power to igntion or to the regulator....thanks again, I think Im kinda slow at picking this up lol...JD

Maybe Im making this confusing...do I run 12 volt power all time to the inner brush..or make it have 12 volts only when key is on...thanks JD

- from the regulator, but only when the key is on, otherwise youre likely to drain your battery pretty quick

Ok thats how I have it and keeps blowing the ign fuse and tail light bulb...I think I went wrong some were but not sure were...JD

Ok, Battery voltage runs from the brown wire to one brush, thru the rotor, out the other brush,on the green wire, to the regulator, where the regulator grounds to control the current thru the rotor. This controls the output of the stator. If you are getting power at both brushes but not at the green wire, I would check to see if the green wire is broke.

Ok Found out were I went wrong didn't remove black wire from ground duhhh :doh:...then found this^^^ now Im not getting power from green wire to regulator checked wire has continuaty from its connection at stator to plug..so wire is good Check rotor still good...any thoughts...sorry just trying to this thing going....THANK YOU in advance...JD

79xs...,

When you remove the ground from the brush, you have to isolate the brush with three nylon screws and apply switched battery to the now isolated brush.

You will not see battery coming from the regulator because it supplies a regulated ground, not battery.

You had it right in your earlier post.

The brushes are isolated with nylon screws...and I have 12v power to brushes...I was thinking I would be getting 12v power on green wire to regulator while its running...I think im just not understanding somthing right is all...sorry....JD

79xs.....,

OK.You will see a voltage on the green wire that comes from the +12 brush through the rotor to the green wire, except that while the regulator is providing ground on the green wire to produce current through the rotor windings, that voltage will be low.

Test the whole setup by applying ground on the green wire. This should produce a high battery voltage, so do not let it go above 15 Volts. It is only a test.
If you do get a high voltage on the battery with the green wire grounded, then the regulator is bad. Possibly you may have damaged it with your earlier wiring.

Ok thats happening Im getting very low voltage like .5 of a volt on green....but when I take green to ground there is no change in voltage stays 12.4....JD

79xs,

Well, one of three things:

1. You still have a ground on the isolated brush. The one with the nylon screws.
2. You do not have battery hooked up to the isolated brush.
3. You rotor is toast. Measure the rotor resistance from one slip ring to the other. Should be 5 Ohms with the brushes removed.

checked for ground at brush... none

checked for 12v with key on at brush...yes

check rotor ohms...5.4 between rings....

still no charge... even when I ground green wire stays at 12.4

ok I took a breather... went back at found a SMALL STRAGLY WIRE touching ground when I start bike vibration i guess...fixed that jump green to ground it started charging so I went and got a new regulator hooked it up no charge...but get it still when i jump green to ground...regulator is grounded...power from fuse to middle terminal...green to the outer side to brush...this how its hooked up at regulator...JD

Back