Another dreadful day in Arizona

vstrom401.png

Last Friday night (Feb 10) on the 401 across the top of Toronto, some dude on a vstrom.

Just yankin' yer chain, RG :)

This winter has been stranger than a football bat. Teens and single digits one day, 40's the next. 6" of snow one day, rain the next. We got all the way to February 9th before we had any snow that lasted more than 24 hours.

Now this:

snow17_1.jpg

snow17_4.jpg

Nor'easter sitting right on top of us, close to 3 feet of snow and another foot forecast for Wednesday. I hope it gets this shit out of its system and Spring arrives on schedule, I've got a new Corbin seat on the FJ to test drive!

Downeaster......................yeah I know you were just funning with me:).
Its been a crazy winter here in Alberta also. We've had really cold ,a big dump of snow, and now really warm for February!
I spent 18 months in Nova Scotia back in the early 1970s, somewhat close to you lads in Maine, and one winter we had a big snow storm similar to what you are getting now. Its just winter, and spring is sure to come!

For the record: Rain. And quite a bit of it. What a commute...woof.

We've had a rather wet winter, when the desert flora takes off in the next month it's going to be a sight to see.

100 miles on the FJR in Wisconsin today! rode it yesterday, looking good for the next two days also....... It got designated to be the winter bike this year, poor salty dog.

Though the Cascade Mtn range has warmed up to a soaker rain, the roads are no where near ready for riding . Again, I balked at opening up the shed to put back the carbs & exhaust on my 78 rider. Soon this winter will be over ! So anxious to get the test riding going. A bit more than routine winter maintenence is keeping the excitement of a better ride something to look forward to ! Sure am missing the rumble of those pipes . Soon I'll share too ! RT

With careful planning and enough motorcycles one can actually ride comfortably all year long.:bike:
roy

Hi Roy,
in Saskatchewan that'd be careful enough planning to ride at minus 40º on sheet ice.
You'd need a sidecar, 3 studded tires and a second alternator to charge the car battery in the sidecar's trunk
that's needed to power all the electrically heated riding gear you'll need to keep your essentials from freezing off.

Stayed on the numbered highways for the most part. white stripes from the brine trucks still in abundance. Water across the road from melting snow banks was common. Was on a township east west road with a big pine plantation on the south side, there was intermittent ice on the road yet and in one spot I had to both relax and hold my breath as I coasted across about 20 feet of shoulder to shoulder, wet, bumpy,sheet ice! Will go out again this morning, then rock climbing this afternoon. I think I can keep myself from unearthing an XS for a bit yet.

Stayed on the numbered highways for the most part. white stripes from the brine trucks still in abundance. Water across the road from melting snow banks was common. Was on a township east west road with a big pine plantation on the south side, there was intermittent ice on the road yet and in one spot I had to both relax and hold my breath as I coasted across about 20 feet of shoulder to shoulder, wet, bumpy,sheet ice! Will go out again this morning, then rock climbing this afternoon. I think I can keep myself from unearthing an XS for a bit yet.

Ooooohhhh - a bit scary Gary. I must admit that I've always dreaded being on ice or wet leaves on a street bike. It usually keeps me off the road till a bit later than usual, but not this year because its been so mild.

A few weeks ago I watched a YouTube video made by a British motorcycle instructor and it seemed excellent until he started talking about how to ride on snowy and icy roads. I jumped up and yelled at my iPad: "I'm a Canadian and we have forgotten more about winter weather than any Brit will ever know and I can assure you that there is only one word on how to do that and it's DON'T!!!!!"

Anyhow, this nitwit commenced a treatise on winter riding his ST1100 (a 740 lb touring bike) on snowy and icy roads, complete with videos purporting to show how it's perfectly safe as long as you don't accelerate, turn or brake suddenly and use caution while crossing from one bare pavement track to another on wintery roads. How the hell he could predict when he might have to swerve or brake suddenly, was never explained for some reason.

Cringeworthy. Call me a coward, but what he was doing was just nutty.

Smooth ice isn't so bad, but if a rut catches your tire, game over can happen. Bout 3 years ago on a K1200LT I got into a half mile of rutted ice with no chance of turning that pig around. Survived with no tips but it was well in doubt for a while. I did do a sloppy slush stop sign flop on that wallowing porker another time, fortunately a bystander helped me right it after he got done laughing.

When it comes to crossing ice I've learned that I push down so hard with both my feet like skids that I wore thru my bright red converse shoe soles ! Pee'd a little. Squeezed the grips so hard I cut off circulation to my hands so I accidentely went wfo outa there and into the next corner. Couldn't hear my engine cuz I was screaming like a girl in my helmet ! So now I wait long for spring and watch tv.. :shrug: I've crashed enough cycles that I don't play on winter roads at all anymore. Gravel, Holes, Muck, yuck, a fair weather rider I've become and its okay .. RT

It is 52° and bright sunshine at the moment. I am SOOOOOO tempted to haul the FJ out of hibernation.

But, the driveway is 6" of slush over 6" of mud and the roads are covered with sand, mud, half-melted ice and running water.

Even assuming I didn't meet an untimely end on the road, the week it'd take me to clean the bike (and that thought of all that salt and sand in every tiny crevice of My Baby) gives me the strength to put my feet up and watch videos...

Back