Another FleaBay Headache.....

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I do a good bit of buying and selling on fleabay, but sometimes (like today) I encounter a headache transaction which makes me think of jumping off that ship.

I bought at auction an expensive vintage Shure Model 55SW (1950's) microphone.

1641004565167.png

It was broken internally (not a shipping/packaging problem). The seller accepted the return, but when he received it, he opened a case against me falsely accusing me of sending back a different item (a very serious accusation). EBay sent me a message saying, " We have sent you an email requesting further information to allow us to investigate your case. Please provide this information before Jan 5, 2022 to assist with the process." However, they didn't send me that email (I checked my inbox at EBay) . And there is no way I can contact EBay, dammit. :mad:

Any ideas of where I can go from here?

My messaging the seller is going nowhere....

Can you reply to the message they sent you or was it one of those no reply type messages?
Checked your spam folder(s)?
Open a case/file a claim against him. That'll get somebody's attention.

Can you reply to the message they sent you or was it one of those no reply type messages?
Checked your spam folder(s)?
Open a case/file a claim against him. That'll get somebody's attention.
Yeah, a no reply message. I can't file an additional case (beyond the return case which pissed him off) against him, cuz he filed one against me already. :mad:
Checked my online fleabay messages. None.
But I think my evidence supersedes his.
In the past you could actually CALL fleabay.

The eBay system only works when all parties behave in an honest manner. Fortunately, most do. Unfortunately, not all.
So true, Marty.
In this case, it seems that the seller was flabbergasted to be confronted with the fact that he sold a defective item, and couldn't bring himself to acknowledge this to himself, or to me. People sometimes quickly jump to blame others for their own failings.

I got a couple replies on the EBay Community Forum regarding this situation.
One guy said that the seller gets that email, and for some reason I got it too. I think he's right.

Another guy suggested that I talk to EBay through their facebook page, and I should input all my relevant item codes into my FB message to EBay. :D:po_O Uh, I don't think I'll do that.

As I see it, the seller is accusing you of trying to steal his product. I assume he now has both the microphone and the money. Hopefully, this is all a mistake and you will receive your money. IMHO, for selling an expensive item like that, serial number records need to be kept, assuming it has one. Without it, he has no proof of nefarious activity by you. I hope this comes to a proper conclusion in short order.

As I see it, the seller is accusing you of trying to steal his product. I assume he now has both the microphone and the money.
Yup, you are correct Marty. And I could get kicked off ebay for good.

His accusation is that I swapped out the internals.

Been through the FleaBay dispute process a time or three and yeah there's something poking at me that it's not quite as transparent as we'd like but generally the process favors the buyer. As always stop, take a chill pill, before posting replies. Give it a bit of time to work. FleaBay gives the vendor a bit of time to decide on their course of action. You just want to be made whole like in this case the vendor can no longer get you what you wanted originally so money back and off to find another.
I had a vendor from India ship me a part that plain was not what the ad described. Vendor required a return of the part and did not have the part they advertised. The cost of return shipping made satisfaction impossible. I just had to eat the useless to me part. It made me less likely to deal with MC parts from India.

but generally the process favors the buyer.
This is heartening.

I've been cool-headed in my messages to the seller, while his messages are not, which probably goes in my favor.

I also informed him of how to do a forensic investigation for tampering/parts swapping; he could lie about the results, but I think that he has a limited capacity for such deception.

Yes, you can get eBay on the phone. They don't make it easy, and it takes persistence if you've never done it before.
Try this:
https://www.ebay.ie/pages/help/account/contact-customer-support.html
Keep trying! You have to work through all of their menus. Try different things. Eventually, they may offer you "chat". Use it, and keep requesting a phone number.
I buy and sell a lot on eBay. I am scrupulously honest. I have talked to them on the phone many, many times. Talking on the phone has always resulted in a resolution in my favor. I was once accused of fraud. They kicked the accuser off of eBay.

Yes, you can get eBay on the phone. They don't make it easy, and it takes persistence if you've never done it before.
Try this:
https://www.ebay.ie/pages/help/account/contact-customer-support.html
Keep trying! You have to work through all of their menus. Try different things. Eventually, they may offer you "chat". Use it, and keep requesting a phone number.
I buy and sell a lot on eBay. I am scrupulously honest. I have talked to them on the phone many, many times. Talking on the phone has always resulted in a resolution in my favor. I was once accused of fraud. They kicked the accuser off of eBay.
I have in fact worked through the menus at that page, and kept hitting dead ends. EBay tells you that there sometimes is a golden phone at the end of menu search. Tonight I'll try pursuing them farther than I had previously. Thanks

1641052493517.png

Yeah EBay is always a bit of a crap shoot. 90% of my dealings have been honest and fair…..but you get the occasional worthless piece of junk that goes right in the trash. I once bought a front fender ( fiberglass ) for a BMW that I was restoring that arrived with a big crunch that wasn’t shown in any photographs or the description.
I have only once been deliberately scammed and I have to own that, I did the classic mistake, I bought something at a “ too good to be true “ price from a seller with almost no history and it was a complete scam. I started an inquiry with EBay and it took several weeks but I got my money back. Lesson learned.

I have in fact worked through the menus at that page, and kept hitting dead ends. EBay tells you that there sometimes is a golden phone at the end of menu search. Tonight I'll try pursuing them farther than I had previously. Thanks

View attachment 204203
The phone or chat option will be at the very bottom of the page. Every time they take you to a new page, scroll to the bottom first thing. Will save you some time jumping through their hoops.
When you finally get to the phone, they will send you a verification code. That's why I'm slightly skeptical about what would happen if you try directly calling one of the numbers in Jim's post, although they are certainly worth trying.

The phone or chat option will be at the very bottom of the page. Every time they take you to a new page, scroll to the bottom first thing. Will save you some time jumping through their hoops.
When you finally get to the phone, they will send you a verification code. That's why I'm slightly skeptical about what would happen if you try directly calling one of the numbers in Jim's post, although they are certainly worth trying.

I'll try all the options this evening !
And I'll report back.

eBay hates that type of behavior. Good behavior will be rewarded. Threatening you may be enough on its own for eBay to rule in your favor. Be reasonable and careful if you are going to continue to communicate with this seller (which I recommend you don't do).

Other things eBay considers is how much you buy and sell, how many cases have ever been opened against you, and your feedback score. eBay is very protective of all buyers, but it also is somewhat protective of anyone who makes them a lot of money, i.e. big sellers or buyers. Small sellers not so much. They can afford to lose small sellers who cause them problems.

Back