ANOTHER reg/rec wiring question...

I have no idea how the color codes have been played with in that wiring. The only white in the OE wiring is the three white wires from the stator coils to the rectifier diodes. You probably don't want it, but my advice to you, given the butt connectors and wire nut visible in the photo, is to start over with a new stock harness.

Skull, putting the fuse before the battery is common practice and can prevent nasty things from happening. OE wiring is done that way, with the wire out of the fuse splitting to the battery and switch.

I have no idea how the color codes have been played with in that wiring. The only white in the OE wiring is the three white wires from the stator coils to the rectifier diodes. You probably don't want it, but my advice to you, given the butt connectors and wire nut visible in the photo, is to start over with a new stock harness.
Yea this shits sucks. The white wite in my picture is connected to the brown wire on my reg/rec. Also my key switch is not on the side of my bike, it's at the front over the headlight between the handle bars. Maybe thats why I'm getting confused as to where I have to wire my brown wire. Thanks for the help though.

Think of the alternator as two circuits.

First Circuit goes to the Rectifier (rec) where it changes the power created by the alternator from AC to DC. There are 3 same-colored wires that go into the rec (this is where the power is converted - usually white, sometimes yellow). The Rec also has a red wire that come out and goes to the battery (to charge the battery and power the entire bike system), and a ground wire that connects to the alternator ground wire. all these wires go thru the connector block. There will be an other wire sometimes yellow, sometimes white, that was originally used as a kickstand switch to prevent the bike from being ridden with the kickstand down. In the modern wiring schemes, that wire is simply not connected and capped off in a secure way (so you don't get a short circuit)

The second circuit is the Regulator (Reg) to the alternators brushes. The brushes push electricity into the alternator, and that small ammount of electricity creates an electromagnetic field that makes the much stronger electrical charge that goes to the Rec... the brushes will keep putting charge into the alternator until the regulator regulates the amount of juice in the brushes. It knows how much charge is in the battery by way of the sensor wire (brown wire). When the battery/system charge gets below 14.2 volts, it turns on the juice to the brushes. When the stsyem charge goes below the 14.2 threshold, the regulator turns up the juice to the brushes. In order to keep the regulator wire from draining the battery while the bike is off, it must be hooked up after an on/off switch (like an ignition-style key switch or a kill switch, so it won't pass juice to the brushes while the bike is turned off). I have an M-Unit, so I spliced the brown wire into the aux output of the m-unit, but most folks splice it into the power wire between the key switch and the headlight.

Think of the alternator as two circuits.

First Circuit goes to the Rectifier (rec) where it changes the power created by the alternator from AC to DC. There are 3 same-colored wires that go into the rec (this is where the power is converted - usually white, sometimes yellow). The Rec also has a red wire that come out and goes to the battery (to charge the battery and power the entire bike system), and a ground wire that connects to the alternator ground wire. all these wires go thru the connector block. There will be an other wire sometimes yellow, sometimes white, that was originally used as a kickstand switch to prevent the bike from being ridden with the kickstand down. In the modern wiring schemes, that wire is simply not connected and capped off in a secure way (so you don't get a short circuit)

The second circuit is the Regulator (Reg) to the alternators brushes. The brushes push electricity into the alternator, and that small ammount of electricity creates an electromagnetic field that makes the much stronger electrical charge that goes to the Rec... the brushes will keep putting charge into the alternator until the regulator regulates the amount of juice in the brushes. It knows how much charge is in the battery by way of the sensor wire (brown wire). When the battery/system charge gets below 14.2 volts, it turns on the juice to the brushes. When the stsyem charge goes below the 14.2 threshold, the regulator turns up the juice to the brushes. In order to keep the regulator wire from draining the battery while the bike is off, it must be hooked up after an on/off switch (like an ignition-style key switch or a kill switch, so it won't pass juice to the brushes while the bike is turned off). I have an M-Unit, so I spliced the brown wire into the aux output of the m-unit, but most folks splice it into the power wire between the key switch and the headlight.

Hey man thanks for sharing. I actually connected my brown wire from my reg/rec to my power and brown wire coming out of the ignition switch. Nothing happend for either wires. Used a quick wire splice.

Back