ANOTHER reg/rec wiring question...

QWERTYMage

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for another of these damn rewiring questions, but after reading all the dozens of threads about this, I'm more confused than when I started.

Here's my system: 1975 XS650 with the original 1975 stator. Pamco ignition. Custom wiring harness and NEW Mike's XS Regulator/Rectifier combo (#24-2089). Motogadget M-Unit V2

My questions:
1. Do I need to do the nylon screw swap? Yes or No
2. Do I need to run wires to the brushes on the stator? Yes or No?
3. if yes to question 2, what color to were? Brown to which one? Green to which one? Negative from battery to which one? (Attached is a diagram of the brushes with the nylon screws marked A, B, C)

I'm not versed in electrical anything past very basic stuff (like wiring a stereo), so don't bother trying to explain, because trying to explain it to me won't get that info into my cement skull.:shrug:

I have a mocked up wiring diagram for the M-Unit if you want to see that if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

I can

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 2.17.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 2.17.45 PM.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 135
#1, with that reg/rec, no
#2 and 3 are together.
On your engine there is a large wire bundle coming up from the stator. The wires you need to worry about are the 3 whites, and a green. Ignore the rest for now.
On that unit you have has 3 white wires, a green, red, black and brown wires.
The 3 white wires from the stator hook to the 3 whites in any combination on the reg/rec.
The red wire goes straight to battery positive, the black to ground.
The green wire goes to the green wire. The brown goes to power after the main switch.
That's it.
Leo

Yes, you want power on the brown wire but you want it switched (with the key), not on constantly.

Hi was going through your thread and I have the same bike with the same problem. Do you need a pamco ignition to run this reg/rec? Having some charging problems.

No, you don't need a Pamco ignition. The regulator and rectifier pertain to the charging system, not the ignition system. The ignition and charging systems are 2 separate entities or systems on the bike.

Ok because the previous owner used a honda cb reg/rec I believe and I think its fried. Going to buy a new one. Will probably use this thread to re-wire it. Did everything go well when you did yours?

Hi was going through your thread and I have the same bike with the same problem. Do you need a pamco ignition to run this reg/rec? Having some charging problems.
You don't need a Pamco for this reg/rec, but if you changed your stator to the nylon screws/later style negative side regulator, you would need a different model.

Ok because the previous owner used a honda cb reg/rec I believe and I think its fried. Going to buy a new one. Will probably use this thread to re-wire it. Did everything go well when you did yours?
I didn't end up using a Mike's Reg/Rec. They tend to be faulty a lot of the time, so I went with an Oregon Motorcycle Parts reg/rec. They are handbuilt andf tested and known for being high-quality. They cost a bit more, but they are servicable and his customer service is great... and they are adjustable... It worked like a champ when I updated my system. It only stopped working when I took off my carbs for a cleaning and didn't tighten down my negative from the Regulator and blew up my battery and some of my system. I highly recommend this make/model reg/rec.

Look up limeybikes.com in the tech section about reg/recs for a nice diagram and info about them.

#1, with that reg/rec, no
#2 and 3 are together.
On your engine there is a large wire bundle coming up from the stator. The wires you need to worry about are the 3 whites, and a green. Ignore the rest for now.
On that unit you have has 3 white wires, a green, red, black and brown wires.
The 3 white wires from the stator hook to the 3 whites in any combination on the reg/rec.
The red wire goes straight to battery positive, the black to ground.
The green wire goes to the green wire. The brown goes to power after the main switch.
That's it.
Leo
Hi, when you say the brown wire goes to power after the main switch do you mean after the 20Amp fuse but before the starter solenoid? If you could shed some light that would be epic! Thanks!

Robert, let's start at the start, OK? The red wire from the rectifier leads to the 20A main fuse, and from there to the battery positive terminal and the key switch. It's always powered. The brown wires out of the key switch is switched power; when you turn the key it connects the red wire to the brown wire and powers the rest of the system; the brown wires branch to feed lights, horn, ignition, and alternator rotor. One brown wire carries power to the kill switch. When the kill switch is on, the red/white wire from the kill switch powers the ignition and the solenoid. Bottom line: you hooked up the brown wire so that the rotor is always powered.

Yes, you need a switched-with-the-key power connection for that brown wire.

From the link i posted..........I altered an existing loom for this diagram but didn't change the position of the fuse ...............The 20 amp fuse should be after the battery and before the red wire divides to the reg/rect and switch

text-is-this-correct-jayels-answer-copy3-jpg.120373

Robert, let's start at the start, OK? The red wire from the rectifier leads to the 20A main fuse, and from there to the battery positive terminal and the key switch. It's always powered. The brown wires out of the key switch is switched power; when you turn the key it connects the red wire to the brown wire and powers the rest of the system; the brown wires branch to feed lights, horn, ignition, and alternator rotor. One brown wire carries power to the kill switch. When the kill switch is on, the red/white wire from the kill switch powers the ignition and the solenoid. Bottom line: you hooked up the brown wire so that the rotor is always powered.

Ok, so there are absolutely no brown wires on the solonoid side. The picture shows me holding a white wire with my pointer finger and thumb, thats connected to the brown wire on reg/rec. My middle finger is holding the red wire from reg/rec to 20 amp fuse. Still not sure where to attach that white wire.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 66
Back