another wiring rookie

aaroffee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
13932928_10206927889411476_8212515617787727687_n.jpg

so just picked up another xs after selling my previous one earlier this year, now i have a stock engine with stock carbs, ign, charging system etc

now the bike ran when i picked it up, so thats a good sign but theres the rats nest that needs to get sorted out as soon as possible the key barrel clicks and is dodgy so my plan is with everyones help to cut shit and run the minimal things. the headlight or brake like doesnt work either not sure if getting power, but we will get to that later, i want a simple ign, charging diagram if anyone has one, i dont believe the volts reg to be standard. once i get that sorted ill make a loom for the lights.

Last edited:
i forgot to mention, engine number is 650 111.... so that makes it XS2???
if that helps with some wiring diagrams?

do i have to run coil plugs through a relay??? can i run everything off battery/ key switch, what needs to be fused?

Here are some diagrams that may help. looking through some more but here is one to start
simple wiring.PNG

Here is an option of the different ignition systems.
On this diagram the charging system,reg and rect is directly below the ignition switch. NOTE the yellow wire is caped, this wire would normally run to the safety relay, so the way this is set up from the battery and not going through a solenoid, it would be a kick start only. Also shows the solenoid and safety relay set up if you want it. Electric start
chopper wiring.PNG

I'm not an electrical guru but lately I've been getting into this a bit more every day.

Last edited:
Back