Another XS Build - Need your help/suggestions

I finally got a chance to work on my ride this weekend, finished install the new tapered bearings. It was easier than I thought, I used a couple of threads in this forum and did a youtube search and watched a couple of demos. Also did some cleaning and painting of the triple trees, fork lowers, and speedo/tach mount. I was working on polishing the lowers but they didn't turn out the way I wanted so I decided to paint them. There is rust on the upper fork tubes and will try the soda and aluminum foil trick. Might have to add fork boots if it doesn't work. Worked on chopping the front and rear fender. Looking to start painting once i decide on a paint scheme.
Triple%20Tree%20-%201_zpsbfhewt0g.jpg

Triple%20Trees%20-%202_zpszd8lggol.jpg

Triple%20Trees%20-%203_zps9uokhnjm.jpg

Nice. I've also been thinking of doing something with my rear fender. Please post images, xerox650 and coconutpete.

Have a question, before I removed the handlebar, the handlebars wobbled back and forth. I removed the front end components to replace the bearings, so when I am now putting it back together, I inspected the rubber isolators that are under the handlebar clamps and they appear to be in good condition. I wanted to make sure the handlebars do not have forward/backward motion Should I replace them since they probably haven't been replaced since new? Could the problem have been the handlebar clamps were loose?

I've been falling behind in putting the front end back together because I haven't decided what to do with the stanchion tube, they have rust spots. I tried the coca cola and aluminum foil but it only took the rust off and it left black spots. So I purchased fork gators to hid the issue. In the mean time I wanted to finish the paint on the front and rear fenders. Here are a couple of pics of my rattle can job, not bad since it is a budget build. I did have an issue with the painters tape pulling some of the paint from the main stripe. I used a can of silver paint i had at work so it probably wasn't the best paint. Actually I like the texture in the stripe so I will keep it. Next up, painting the fuel tank.
REAR FENDER:
81%20RR%20Fender%20-%202_zpsyuvawzfg.jpg

81%20Rear%20Fender%20-%201_zpslrxueqr6.jpg

81%20RR%20Fender%20wtailight%20-%202_zpsikndspfz.jpg

FRONT FENDER:
81%20Frt%20Fender%20-%202_zpsh6i0dfcm.jpg

81%20Frt%20Fender%20-%201_zpstvbzn5sb.jpg

I am at a point that I have the rear tire and fender removed and am thinking of changing the swingarm bushings. Is it necessary to do so if the swingarm is NOT having an issue? Just want to make the bike safe and rideable since it is 35 years old.

I decided to put fork gaiters on my 81. I saw a suggestion from 5twin and ordered on amazon from Daystar, a set of black. I followed 5twins suggestion and they fit nicely without a zip tie on the top or bottom. I will post pics when I get the front end put back together.

I decided to put fork gaiters on my 81. I saw a suggestion from 5twin and ordered on amazon from Daystar, a set of black. I followed 5twins suggestion and they fit nicely without a zip tie on the top or bottom. I will post pics when I get the front end put back together.

Hi zeroxs650,
If you are installing gaiters to hide bad chrome on the fork tubes, be sure the fork tubes are smooth enough that they won't eat up the fork tube seals and let the fork oil leak out and contaminate the front brake.

Geeeezzzzz - what a pain that must have been Fred - I'll bet the air was blue in Toon-town that day!

Anyhow, ....glad you mentioned that!

Pete

Your fork tube pitting only appears to be just below the lower tree. I don't think that will cause any problems. The fork seals will probably never reach that high. Do clean the rust off though, and check the remaining spots or pits for sharp edges. You might want to dab some silver paint on them too so they don't rust again in the future. Testor's silver model paint dabbed on with a Q-tip works well. It is also very good for touching up any rusty nuts and bolt heads. It gives a duller finish than chrome but it's a very good match to the original cad plating that many of the fasteners had.

I think the Daystar gaiters are a wonderful and cheap mod (less than $10). They are very long lasting too. I've had mine on there for a good 10 years and they show no signs of deteriorating. They're not drying out, cracking, or splitting anywhere. The same can't be said for the paper thin ones a certain parts supplier sells. They perish within a year or two. I think gaiters give a bike a very "old school" look, which fits in well with the XS650. They also give your fork tubes and seals more protection. You may never wear the seals out if you run gaiters.

5twin, I like the way they look on the forks. They seem to be made with thick rubber and were easy to modify. And the best part of the mod is the price. Your write up was very helpful, thanks.

With the weather in the Northeast this time of year, I haven't had much of a chance to start putting the front end back together in order for me to move on to the next area. I don't want to total dismantle the bike, I might forget how to put it back together. I did have had a opportunity to paint the fuel tank, not bad for a spray can. I had a friend duplicate the Yamaha decal I have on my 77 and will install them before I clear coat. I also cleaned and polished the engine side covers.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank Front.jpg
    Fuel Tank Front.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Fuel Tank Lft Side.jpg
    Fuel Tank Lft Side.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Fuel Tank Rt Side.jpg
    Fuel Tank Rt Side.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 144
  • Fuel Tank Top.jpg
    Fuel Tank Top.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Yamaha Fuel Tank Decal.jpg
    Yamaha Fuel Tank Decal.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Hey ZeroXS - that tank looks REALLY nice! I love the colour combo and you've done a great job!

Is that really spray can work? Can you provide any details of how you did it? What sort of masking tape did you use and were the stripes painted or from a roll? Did you clear coat?

I am about to have my XS750 tank and side covers painted for the Special to Cafe built and am looking down the tunnel of several hundred dollars for a "professional" job. I'm an engineer and so I always seek the optimal solution and if a properly done spray can job can be done for 10% of the cost and achieve 97% of the results, that is a good solution for me.

Pete

Back