Any guesses what is stuck in my crank?

Hugh

Thanks for the info on this. I initially thought that what I was seeing was aluminum, but after some prodding it definitely seemed possible that it was lead. Doesn't make much sense to drill a hole in steel and fill it with aluminum to add weight.

As for when it happened, I rode the bike all day - to work, etc. and took it out that night for a trip to the bank. On the evening ride it sounded like there was something rubbing but all I could tell was that it sounded like it was on the RS of the bike. I thought I just needed to do a valve adjustment and I checked the oil when I got back and figured I'd do some maintenance over the weekend.

Somehow I guess I got tremendously lucky because the plug somehow fell out the rest of the way when I stopped the bike. I discovered the whole thing when I went to kick it over the next day to ride to work and the kicker stopped about half way down - with a definite metallic clunk like I was hitting something bad inside.

I am thinking that I may use this crank and the cam from a spare engine to do a rephase sometime in the future and was curious if this plug can be replaced or if the outer flywheel would just need to be replaced?

For what it's worth, I ordered a 256 crank as a spare for my `71 back in 1983. What arrived was the superceeding "306" crank, was told it was same thing, just had starter gear cuts, and was the proper replacement for 256 cranks. This crank has NO lead plugs in the flywheel...

For what it's worth, I ordered a 256 crank as a spare for my `71 back in 1983. What arrived was the superceeding "306" crank, was told it was same thing, just had starter gear cuts, and was the proper replacement for 256 cranks. This crank has NO lead plugs in the flywheel...
Very interesting.

I have posted about that weight several times . Both of my 72 bikes had the same problem. one had locked up completely and the other was loose. you could rebuild the crank but Im not sure how you would balance it without that plug material. I decided to use a 447 crank with 256 rods installed to keep the characteristics of the 72 motor. The crank was rebuilt by Falicon using new bearings and welded. The 447 crank does not have the weight. Besides the gear on the cranks were not in the best shape so changing to a newer crank solved two problems. Of course it brings up another problem, which is the number of teeth are different on the 447 crank so you need to change the sprocket on your 72 cam to a 447 cam sprocket. I decided to use a sleeve from Megacycle cams and use there adjustable sprocket for the 447 cam which allowed me to keep the 256 cam. I also updated all the guides and adjuster to the newer type.

If you own a 72, and probably 73 it could be a time bomb just waiting to ruin your day.

Last edited:
Quote INXS
"- the numbers are cast into the conrod
256...136mm conrod, 22mm wrist pin, 26mm crank pin, no starter cog...306...same with a starter cog
447...130mm rod, 20mm wrist pin, 26mm crank pin, starter cog
533...140mm rod, 20mm wrist pin, 29mm crank pin...mostly sold in europe"

270 and 277 refer to rephased big end offset.

Well, that is very interesting. At 65K miles, my time bomb had a long fuse.
Question, I was told that the 447 had a different stroke, how did the 256 rods work out?

Im not sure what you meant by how did the 256 rods work out. The XS2 is a 256 rod bike so they worked out fine, i just used 447 flywheels and center pin but used 256 rods and pistons. Yes the 447 has a shorter rods as Gary points out

65,000 was a good run. Both of the XS2 bikes I had ,had less than 20,000

Last edited:
All the XS650s have the same 74mm stroke.

It's the rod length and matching piston compression height that's different.

The 256 has the longer rod, uses matching 256 pistons which have the wristpin holes higher up, just below the bottom oil rings.

The 447 has the shorter rod, uses matching 447 pistons which have the wristpin holes lower, a bit more below the bottom oil rings.

Here's what can happen if you put 447 pistons on the even longer 533 rods:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/big-piston-little-piston.32595/

Last edited:
All the XS650s have the same 74mm stroke.

It's the rod length and matching piston compression height that's different.

The 256 has the longer rod, uses matching 256 pistons which have the wristpin holes higher up, just below the bottom oil rings.

The 447 has the shorter rod, uses matching 447 pistons which have the wristpin holes lower, a bit more below the bottom oil rings.

Here's what can happen if you put 447 pistons on the even longer 533 rods:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/big-piston-little-piston.32595/

Yep your right I corrected my above post which should cause less confusion

Well, craz1, I learned something new. And thank you too, 2M, I've been assuming on hear-say info. I get it now. Not too long ago I had a conversation with a 650 enthusiast, has like 5, 650's, anyway we talked about long and short rods. The consensus was -- longer rods equals shorter stroke. Shorter rods, equals longer stroke. Logical? I/we knew nothing about moving the pins up or down on the Pistons.
Craz1, do you understand my question now. Thanks for straightening me out.
As far as my wife is concerned, I'm still not any smarter.

image.jpeg
Hey craz1, just saw your Picts. Wow. Beautiful. Two questions. Are the mufflers original? And is the paint original? My original mufflers rattled the internals to pieces at about 30K miles. Then put special pipes on and one broke in half at about 50Kmiles. Have shorties now with original headers.

Mufflers are from Mikes. Bike was finnished 8 years ago. Paint was done by http://paintworkz.com. He sells paint for the Kawasaki Z1900 and used to paint also but has retired. He has done several of my Z1 bikes and did the XS2 as a favor. Your bike looks very nice.

Mufflers are from Mikes. Bike was finnished 8 years ago. Paint was done by http://paintworkz.com. He sells paint for the Kawasaki Z1900 and used to paint also but has retired. He has done several of my Z1 bikes and did the XS2 as a favor. Your bike looks very nice.
Not all AL was polished in that pict. I've since replaced the fenders with 78's to save mine. Here's a more recent pict.

Attachments

• 20170308_143814.jpg
    20170308_143814.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 214
Scroll down half way and there is a pic of an XS2 crank that has had the lead weights replaced and what was used
http://www.xs650.org.au/Technical Info/xs650 tips.html

P1010514.JPG
You still need to press the crank apart. You can get used 447 cranks pretty cheap(at least in the US)and not deal with the weights. If I was in Australia maybe that would be the best fix. I would say the cost of adding that material would exceed the cost of a used crank.

Didn't realize i was posting it up for you Craz...........just information for the OP or anyone interested...............

Replacing the crank with a 447 is easy enough, but then there is the cam to be replaced or pressing off and on the 447 sprocket if the XS2 Cam is to be retained, and thats an art.......... Hell some don't want to change the crank and keep their bike original..............so many options and all cost money...........hell some guys on here sequel about the cost of their projects and when a cheep alternative is shown you will find they spend on the expensive stuff anyways...............

Again an option and a solution to a problem.........used or not...........

Didn't realize i was posting it up for you Craz...........just information for the OP or anyone interested...............

Replacing the crank with a 447 is easy enough, but then there is the cam to be replaced or pressing off and on the 447 sprocket if the XS2 Cam is to be retained, and thats an art.......... Hell some don't want to change the crank and keep their bike original..............so many options and all cost money...........hell some guys on here sequel about the cost of their projects and when a cheep alternative is shown you will find they spend on the expensive stuff anyways...............

Again an option and a solution to a problem.........used or not...........

We both are adding to the information so guys reading it can have a choice. Many different ways to do things. Every input we make may save someone alot of problems and cash.

Back