Any Pamco install tips? Don't want it to fail far from home!

A small comment on the PAMCO install. It was recommended to me by pete that I put an inline 7.5 amp fuse in the line powering the PAMCO to protect it. I ran a wire from power out to right in front of the battery from under the tank so I could access the fuse and then ran the wire back under the tank to power the ignition.

I put a toggle switch in the power feed to the coil on my Pamco. That way if I need to work on something electrical I can turn the coils off and not fry anything.

On mine I used a relay to power the ignition. The kill switch powers the relay. I feed power from the fuse box with a 7.5 amp fuse. This power goes to the relay, then on to the ignition.
The ignition only gets power when the kill switch powers the relay. This way power is fed in as straight a line as possible from battery to ignition.

You cannot turn the key on and then off and have a spark plug wire disconnected with a Pamco ignition. They are fragile in this way. Once all plugged in the ignition is trouble free, just never pull a spark plug wire.

Tom Graham

TomTerrific,

That particular problem is only with the "Green Monster" coil. The 17-6822 and 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil have been tested with one plug wire disconnected with no harmful effects. A similar test was conducted with the popular Harley 31609-80 (17131) coil as well with no ill effects.

However, it is still recommended that you do not leave one plug wire disconnected, not just with the PAMCO but with any high performance dual output coil. Most of the new bikes with a high energy coil have the same warning in the owners manual.

Pete, damage can be done with just one plug wire off, key on, bike not running? I thought the bike had to be running with one plug wire off but not grounded?

5Twins,

If you turn the key on then off, and the driver just happens to be on, then with the "Green Monster" it is possible to damage the coil and the PAMCO if one plug is disconnected.

If you find yourself in this position, then just connect the plug wire before you turn the key off.

Of course, if you leave the key on with the engine not running, you will fry both the coil and the PAMCO, regardless of which coil you have.

Last edited:
Here is a video of the PAMCO driving the 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil with one spark plug disconnected: (turn up the volume to hear the narrative)

I just happened to have a PAMCO CB750 ignition system in the test rig when I did this video. The CB750 system uses the same PC board as the PAMCO XS650 system.

Running with just one plug is even more critical with the CB750 because you have two coils and four spark plugs. In fact, I did leave a plug cap off when I was changing the plugs and didn't immediately notice because you have so many cylinders, who could notice that one was not firing?

No damage done. I have two of the 17-6903 "Ultimate" coils on my CB750.

This coil and the PAMCO would also survive turning the key on and off with the engine not running.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth ten thousand words. Great video Pete:thumbsup:

I'm going to take this opportunity to say thanks to Pamcopete for his ignition systems. Last year I had another enjoyable riding season, due in part to my Pamco ignition, which required no adjustments and makes my engine purr.

No, I'm not related to Pete and I received no money for this plug:laugh:

Pete, I'm about to start on my bobber project & wish to run the banshee stator swap, along with one of your ignition,coil set-up's.
I also want to run a batteryless, kickstart only capacitor style system, bike will have a kill switch only - no key system, just kick & go.
Will this set-up have any detrimental effect on the pamco ignition, I don't see why it should but just checking anyway.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

So there is no problem in turnin the key on and off with both plugs connected?

hotdog,

The PAMCO will work just fine with that setup. A lot of people with a similar setup have used the PAMCO successfully because the PAMCO has been tested to work all the way down to 6 Volts, which is important with your setup because you start out with zero volts on the capacitor and you have to generate enough voltage with that first kick to run the ignition system. Here is a video of the PAMCO running on a 6 volt lantern battery:

I would suggest that you start the engine initially with the PAMCO powered by a separate battery, sitting on the floor not connected to the bikes electrical system until you have sorted out any problems you may have with your PM setup. I say this because 1 of three things happen when you initially start up with a PM setup:

1. The engine starts immediately but the alternator voltage climbs to 20 + volts and fries all of the electrical system, including the PAMCO.
2. The engine starts immediately but the capacitor explodes because it was installed back wards.
3. The engine does not start because the alternator is not producing a voltage.

So, start first with a battery powering the PAMCO until you have made sure that the alternator and regulator are working properly. And...wear safety goggles due to the possibility of the capacitor exploding......:eek: (Really, it's not a joke....:wtf:

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth ten thousand words. Great video Pete:thumbsup:

I'm going to take this opportunity to say thanks to Pamcopete for his ignition systems. Last year I had another enjoyable riding season, due in part to my Pamco ignition, which required no adjustments and makes my engine purr.

No, I'm not related to Pete and I received no money for this plug:laugh:

I think I'm gonna frame this one! :D Thanks, RG.....:)

Hey hotdog, I'm interested in the same build, no battery, pamco and banshee stator swap, and kill switch. I'm just trying to figure out what pamco set to go with... :shrug:

I have a 74 tx650
I want to run a head light, tail light, and one led light for a turn signal on each side of the bike to please GA laws as well.

I am a little new to all of this, so im still doing all my research on eveything.

I just installed the pamco today, one thing I could have wished for was beefier wires, to match the stock wiring harness, also taking in to account that these bikes vibrate more than an inline four.

Just a thought.

Mitchell,

I will be going with the Pamco Ultimate High Output Ignition System, as I want new coil,leads etc, my advance set-up seems fine so I'll just run with that one.

Just remember the ignition parts on these bikles is getting quite old, but also shop within your budget & buy what you need.

My build should kick off soon - waiting for approvals...in Australia you need the paperwork before you start chopping into frames.

I just installed the pamco today, one thing I could have wished for was beefier wires, to match the stock wiring harness, also taking in to account that these bikes vibrate more than an inline four.

Just a thought.

Well, you have to also consider the effect of vibration where the wires connect to the PC board. Heavier gage wires would have transfered the vibration to the board terminals with the potential of causing a crack there. The lighter gage wire essentially provides better isolation of the vibration to the PC board.

Last edited:
Hi, I was one of the old school..."it has points and has worked for 30 years why change"....people...then i bought a basic electronic kit...WOW...simple to install and what a difference......I have just come back from a lovely run in the evening heat....ran like a dream......

Back