Any suggestions for new bike build?

Mice chewed on the wiring. Get the $60 new wiring harness. It was plug and play for me.
You better off doing than wasting time trying to fix the old wiring....
What vendor are you guys getting that harness from ?

What vendor are you guys getting that harness from ?
I got one from MikeXS for 60 bucks. There were a couple minor issues with it where a couple wires were not pinned correctly but it was definitely worth the 60 dollars.

but everyone here is starting to persuade me to try and give it a go on the restore.
@Vee I would also to encourage you to keep that bike original. It looks like it has some really good bones. I just went through this same decision recently when I bought mine. It was cheap but it needed a lot of attention. I bought it with the intension of doing a full nut and bolt restore. I first figured I'd get it running good then tear it completely apart and do the restoration, but then I started realizing just how nice the old bike was. I ended up keeping it's patina and just like @Niels B said with a little buffing and polishing and rounding up some parts I had a good running awesome looking bike and I didn't have to break the bank to do it. I get enjoyment rounding up the parts and bringing old things back to life (still working on the wife..) and find it very rewarding. Whatever you ultimately decide to do we love the pictures of the journey! Start you a build thread and flood us with pics! Good luck and have fun with it no matter what you decide to do with it!

I was always leery about Mike's merchandise but I'll take a look at his harness
Thanks !

Did the replacement motor come with a VIN? Perhaps the shop that did the replacement re-stamped the engine to match the frame?

Just curious.

My feeling on bringing a bike back to life is get the engine idling before spending any more $.
Have it planned out so you can pull the trigger though if you wish.
Last 2 bikes, I did not even change the oil till I test rode it to make sure the gears all worked. Just checked the level.
that being said, I use the Rotella T4 from Walmart for $16 a gallon so it was more the time + the filter cost. Later pulled the sump filter which as you will read here was blown out and needed replacing.

If you had an IV bottle, you could hook it up and put fuel to the carbs and see if it would start. Low probability but who knows. I'v never had a bike start but I've attempted this on only 1/2 a dozen bikes including friends I helped.

If you want to just get it running without risking spending any wasted $ I'd
pull carbs, rebuild carbs. Clean all the brass and pick any holes clean, check all passages that they are not clogged. Use IV bottle if you have it to run fuel into carbs otherwise you are cleaning the tank also.
Valve clearances is nearly free work too.
Clean points, and maybe do a static timing check (or just wait to see if it starts)
I'd do this before spending any $ to see where you are at.

Anything anyone has mentioned that is just labor is good to do before spending more $.

Finally back in my shop able to take pictures after 2 days of snow removal. Gas tank is pretty rusty. Savable? As you can see by the exhaust picture, I think most of the rest is sandpaperable with 150 grade. As you can see I attached a picture of two batteries; one being the old battery that was in the bike (the big one) and the other one coming out of my 2023 Honda XR 150. Obviously there's quite a size difference, can I use my new battery to test out the bike? So going forward my plan is going to be similar to what melnic said. Hook up a battery see if I can get power flowing, give it a good carb cleaning, hook up a cheap eBay brand new gas tank that I already have and try to kick it over?
Sound? Any thoughts or concerns?
Also just a heads up I'm going to be selling off some parts from my 1979 XS650 special that were taken off before my chopper build.

Attachments

• IMG_20240109_113516518.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113516518.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240109_113938350.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113938350.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240109_113813034.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113813034.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240109_113744969.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113744969.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240109_113726662.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113726662.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240109_113649628.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113649628.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240109_113629327.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113629327.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240109_113522302.jpg
    IMG_20240109_113522302.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 26
Don't know if that battery is big enough but seriously, clean your carbs fist and use a clean container to feed gas before you fire up or you cloud be makin a lot more work for yourself. :thumbsup:

I have a weakness for keeping these old ladies original as possible, looking at your model - it looks like you have less work laid out finding parts as it all seem to be there. Here is a pick how the bike looked when I bought it and two after I restored it. I honestly spend very little money getting it to look nice, a lot of polishing / buffing and time. Had to find side covers (non modified) airbox, carbs and exhaust. Rebuild carbs, new gaskets new oil tires and seat cover plus a few other rubber / plastic parts. Was lucky to get a brand NOS gas tank among a bunch of parts and bikes I bought, otherwise no new paint or chrome - all cleaned up.
The previous owner had plans of making a cafe racer - I feel lucky to have spoiled that attempt.
Unfortunately you are almost as far north as I’m south on the east coast otherwise I would have entertained the idea of helping it off your hands or trade you for another ‘75 have sitting around however with quiet a few missing original parts :). Good luck whatever you do - did I mention “ nice find”
BTW nice bike !

Finally back in my shop able to take pictures after 2 days of snow removal. Gas tank is pretty rusty. Savable? As you can see by the exhaust picture, I think most of the rest is sandpaperable with 150 grade. As you can see I attached a picture of two batteries; one being the old battery that was in the bike (the big one) and the other one coming out of my 2023 Honda XR 150. Obviously there's quite a size difference, can I use my new battery to test out the bike? So going forward my plan is going to be similar to what melnic said. Hook up a battery see if I can get power flowing, give it a good carb cleaning, hook up a cheap eBay brand new gas tank that I already have and try to kick it over?
Also just a heads up I'm going to be selling off some parts from my 1979 XS650 special that were taken off before my chopper build.
You might not want to hit anything with sand paper unless your going to paint it
Just try buffing the chrome parts or use chrome cleaner with a rag

You could start out cheap and get as much rust out first by putting sheetrock screws in it and shake the hell out it and then vacuum it out
I used just plain old vinegar to clean out the tank on my 81 and it worked great I just filled it to the brim and let it soak
I'll post a few pictures one is of the tank before the vinegar soak and one after the soak and the other is what happens after you dump the vinegar out rinse with water and then use a hair dryer to dry it out
Flash rust :doh:
Thanks god I saved the vinegar for the second soak

Attachments

• 2 the one .jpg
    2 the one .jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 22
tank look pretty rusty, however, if there are no pinholes underneath along the edge and around the petcocks it should be possible to clean it out, nothing else on the pictures to scary it can all be refurbished to look nice again. The battery will likely not support the electric starter (if it works)

You could start out cheap and get as much rust out first by putting sheetrock screws in it and shake the hell out it and then vacuum it out
I used just plain old vinegar to clean out the tank on my 81 and it worked great I just filled it to the brim and let it soak
I'll post a few pictures one is of the tank before the vinegar soak and one after the soak and the other is what happens after you dump the vinegar out rinse with water and then use a hair dryer to dry it out
Wow vinegar goes a long way!

This is what I did on 3 tanks in the past couple years.
I put some spare nails and switched them around a couple times a day. The nails were ferrous so to get them out, you use a telescoping magnetic tip to pull them out. Be warned that with all that scraping, it helps with the rust but there will residue you REALLY need to flush out well. After rinsing out some, I used a thin tipped dish brush to get in and scrub some more. The first tank I did not flush as well and my fuel filter got a bit clogged so I swished and drained the gas out through a pleated paper filter into a gas can 3 times to get any out. Tossed the filter when done. I later thought that what I might do is see if I could place a magnet in there to collect the loose particles. Still thinking on that one cause I'd need to have something that rolls around as opposed to drop it in and stay in one place. (or would I?)

I would just put an inline filter on the gas line once you have it cleaned out
I haven't lined any tank I've cleaned I figured that the gas itself would keep the rust at bay
Just keep the tank topped off

Back