Anyone else have problems with mikesxs gauges?

ramairgtz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Have less than 40 miles on my bike and my speedometer is already freaking out. They are the 1.9" gauges. Took it for a ride today and it started jumping from 40 to 60 then when I stopped the needle stayed on 20 until I wacked it a few times. Tachometer seems to be out of wack too once the rpms get above 3000 the needle either won't go any higher or it bounces up and around. I have brand new motion pro cables on both gauges. Anyone else have problems with them?

You's pays your money, you's takes your chances.
Not everything Mike's sells is top of the line. But he's pretty cheap on most stuff.
I just use stock gauges, they have worked fine for 30+ years.
Leo

My gauges from mikes are in a box, the price was pretty cheap compared to others, Thought they would solve my problems. After using them for 2 years, I repaired the stock gauges, how-to found here some were (I almost tossed the stock ones when the new ones arrived ) They work great, the Stock Gauges are hard to beat. I think if you want replacement gauges you have to pay more, the insides are not the same I looked.

Yup, I had the same problem with the white LED speedo. About 1000 miles into it, it started jumping all over. The od and trip seemed to work OK. I wrote MikesXS and they blamed it on a bad cable or speedo drive gear. So no refund or replacement. The cable was new from MikesXS and I lubed it. As for the drive gear, I cleaned it out and repacked it too before it went bad. I've got about 2K on the replacement speedo I baught from them and it's still working.

If I had a stock xs the factory gauges would be fine but they will look very out of place on my bike. I need new gauges anyways since my voltage regulator freaked and burnt out the back lights. Anyone know where I can get some quality 2 inch gauges that will work on the xs

Back