Anyone else thinking of finding, buying an electric bike?

FDAB7BC6-F37C-4E50-B356-E6FC2FBEB3C3.jpeg

90+ mpg stock

Beyond simple motor with tons and tons of aftermarket support of high quality parts

No battery (about 5 wires in the harness)

Cruise at 55 all day (can make it go 100mph if you want)

I build surfboards and there is a saying “the greenest surfboards are the ones that don’t end up in the landfill”

I’d bet the early 60s scooter will still outlast a new ebike

So, what have the big four Japanese companies got up their sleeves as far as plans for electric motorcycles? Mostly scooters and prototypes, Honda ( not surprisingly ) seems to be the furthest along.

Honda announces four electric motorcycles to debut in next few years

Honda recently announced a big push for electrification, pledging that it would be 100% electric by 2040, at which point it would no longer sell gas-powered vehicles. And with motorcycles making up a decent chunk of Honda’s sales, the company is now announcing plans for four new models of electric motorcycles.
Honda already has a hybrid and fully electric version of its well designed PCX Scooter,
45164423-F461-4C56-AE8F-FD448EB9A9D5.jpeg
2649FC15-D434-49BE-9B94-543E80A6EB90.jpeg

35E6DEC8-63DD-46DA-A787-E48DF509F66A.jpeg
860D6754-6CC2-4A1A-A775-8A5DBE63187E.jpeg

Yamaha announces new electric motorcycles, scooters and more in huge EV push

Yamaha is headed to the Tokyo Motor Show 2019 later this month and is set to show off a wide range of new electric vehicles. From electric motorcycles and scooters to e-bikes and even a few oddities, Yamaha is going to have quite the EV spread on display.

Suzuki Says It's Working On Electric Motorcycles, But The Market Isn't Ready

As and when the buyer is ready, Suzuki will be present in the market as it already has the technology.”

In other words, electric motorcycles are expensive, and the buyers aren’t ready for them—but Suzuki does have electric motorcycles it could sell, if people did want to buy them.

Kawasaki Endeavor Electric Motorcycle Project: Everything We Know
https://www.rideapart.com/motorcycle-lists/kawasak-endeavor-electric-
project-overview/

Funny, I am in the "Would like to have an e-motorcycle" camp, but can't justify the cost of buying one. However, I wouldn't mind building my own. I have a small Honda SL175 rolling frame that would be good for the project, I think... and I've spent a few weeks trying to understand the components required. There's a LOT of routes to go if you're looking for plug/play options: Motor size, power, battery size, Hub drive, Mid-mount drive, and all the various controllers, etc. much like e-bicycles, but larger/more robust for a motorcycle build.

The downside is it's still pretty pricey to DIY and the learning curve is pretty steep. However, the biggest factor keeping me from actually building it is the aesthetics to make it look good--otherwise, what's the point? Most of the DIYers I've seen look like crap, if I'm honest, and those that actually look good tend to be made by professional designers with fabrication shops/access.

To me, the look is all about the battery design. It needs to fit the space correctly and look intentional (I don't want some massive square block sitting under me) and there's nothing plug/play about that. Custom seems to be the only way to go...so, until I am willing to learn how to make battery packs and form molds to fit into the frame properly, I'll probably keep burning petrol for two-wheel fun. :)

Funny, I am in the "Would like to have an e-motorcycle" camp, but can't justify the cost of buying one. However, I wouldn't mind building my own. I have a small Honda SL175 rolling frame that would be good for the project, I think... and I've spent a few weeks trying to understand the components required. There's a LOT of routes to go if you're looking for plug/play options: Motor size, power, battery size, Hub drive, Mid-mount drive, and all the various controllers, etc. much like e-bicycles, but larger/more robust for a motorcycle build.

The downside is it's still pretty pricey to DIY and the learning curve is pretty steep. However, the biggest factor keeping me from actually building it is the aesthetics to make it look good--otherwise, what's the point? Most of the DIYers I've seen look like crap, if I'm honest, and those that actually look good tend to be made by professional designers with fabrication shops/access.

To me, the look is all about the battery design. It needs to fit the space correctly and look intentional (I don't want some massive square block sitting under me) and there's nothing plug/play about that. Custom seems to be the only way to go...so, until I am willing to learn how to make battery packs and form molds to fit into the frame properly, I'll probably keep burning petrol for two-wheel fun. :)

Yeah I’ve seen some home built jobs, with big ol’ lead acid batteries. They do look clunky and cobbled together.

View attachment 201372

From the article... here:

Part of the common specifications agreed upon this time conforms to the technical paper "TP21003" of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (JASO) issued on March 19. From now on, the technical verification (standardization) for mutual use of interchangeable batteries based on the common specifications will be promoted.
In addition, the demand for electrification of mobility is increasing around the world in order to realize a carbon-neutral society, and we will work with JAMA to encourage the international use of electric vehicles (international standardization).

In order to ensure that motorcycles continue to be the mobility of choice amid growing environmental awareness around the world, the entire motorcycle industry will continue to study and promote the development of an environment for the widespread use of electric motorcycles as an area of cooperation, with the aim of contributing to the realization of a carbon-neutral society.

Hi all:

This issue of battery standardization is actually a very big deal. I have done at least five media interviews in the last month or so on the subject of whether buying an EV is a good idea and this issue never seems to occur to anyone - until I mention it. As for collaboration among OEMs: the issue of fuel supplies etc. is known as a "non-competitive" issue and they simply agree on it because nobody will win if they don't. For example, all vehicles can use the same types of fuel (diesel, premium or regular gas/petrol) and engine oil - because the automakers don't see that as a competitive issue.

Who would buy a Ford F150 if it could use only a special Ford F150 fuel....?

Unfortunately, EV batteries have not yet become standardized and the issue is much more insidious than the battery chemistry and support electronics (which is whole mess unto itself): the actual format (the size and shape of the battery and the location and orientation of the electrical and other connections) are totally different from one model EV to the next. Without standardization - which will almost certainly be driven by the SAE - this chaos will continue and it will hurt EV sales among people who are wise enough to think about it.

As for folks who do not think about it....well, get your wallet out and be prepared to empty it.

I am attaching a clip from the CBC News about a guy in BC who has a 2013 Nissan Leaf EV that is virtually worthless now - only because the battery is worn out and he CANNOT get a new one - at any price. As is stated in the article - his Leaf is only about 8 years old versus an average vehicle age of more than 11 years in North America - so it is NOT an old car. Nonetheless, without a replacement battery, it has little value except as scrap.

Click on the link below - and rinse and repeat if you ever think of buying any sort of EV - until this issue is sorted out by the automakers (and I am confident that they will do it - just as the J4 bike makers have done).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/gopublic/nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle-new-battery-1.5769998

Last edited:
Anything that I can think of posting here just gets too political. Electric motorcycle? That's such a depressing thought.:(

Scott
True. I’m certainly not interested. Also, not interested in a battery powered car. It just isn’t for me.

True. I’m certainly not interested. Also, not interested in a battery powered car. It just isn’t for me.
Just to clarify my attitude, it’s more than just that it’s electric. I am cost conscious. I’m not interested in spending my money on any emerging technology. I’m typing this on my iPhone 8. I’ll use it until it becomes nonfunctional. If I could drive my car forever, I probably would.
As far as e- bike, I still have the bicycle I bought in 1975. An electric motorcycle impresses me as dull. I really enjoy my XS650 with all of its idiosyncrasies. When it comes to new bikes, my interest is retro. I hope that covers it.

Last edited:
Meanwhile - - -
Saskatchewan's SGI (Vehicle insurance monopoly) has proposed increasing
electric vehicles' plate fee to balance the Government's loss of gasoline tax money.
"When they say it ain't about the money, it's about the principle; it's really about the money."

I don't know what it is about stylists today, In the past few weeks I've probably seen blurbs about 6-8 new start ups wanting to get into the electric motorcycle market and they all look like they have a seat that looks like an ironing board. I guess if you only have a 50 mile range that's as comfortable as you need to be.

"Drink this Cod Liver Oil! It's good for you! Drink it or I'll shove it down your throat!"

I'll take organic, naturally developed grass over AstroTurf every time (free market over mandate)
If they develop the quickie charge along with smaller nuclear reactors to offset the use of so called Fossil Fuels then I might consider an EV. Until then it's Cod Liver Oil with no break in usage cost.

Back