Anyone ever buy the XS1-2 seats from Mikes?

picker

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been seat shopping for a good used one but they are all pretty worn out and half the cost of mike`s new ones.
Really I just need a new cover and foam but they have seemed to be gone from the market.
Just wondering about the fit and finish, foam firmness.
Thanks.

I purchased one from Mikes when they first came out but was not pleased. Sent it back. They may have changed?. The fit was bad and the trim work was all crimped,like they hand bent it around the seat. I know you can get a seat cover off of e-bay from Pit-Replica. Just search xs2 seat cover. I was very pleased with the seat cover. When I did mine I got the foam from HVC Cycle. But now I see foam from Yamatopdog Aka Speed and Sport under the same search words on e-bay. Had a local who works with MC seat out it all together.

Attachments

• Yama 650 full shot Apr 10 013.jpg
    Yama 650 full shot Apr 10 013.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 179
That`s a shame..My situation is I have a newly upolstered set but the previous owner had the foam cut down, sort of a cafe seat , so I can either re upolster my perfectly good seat or find another seat and sell this one.
Thanks for the reply.

Those seats are hard to find,especially one in good shape. Most of the one I came across had a lot of rust on the pan. Good luck!

I ran into a lot of problems with the XS2's pan. Just like cra-z1 said every single one I found has rusted through the pan. The first one I restored was 10 years ago so there was very little to be found. I repaired my seat by welding some tin in and adding reinforcement but it was never very comfortable. I was very lerry of the Mikes seats when they came out but I ordered one last spring and I was pretty pleased. I went into it knowing it's not OEM. The trim is cheap,the Yamaha logo is gold instead of White, pan is powdercoated so it won't rust now. Man is that foam nice but 40 year old foam vs. new foam, new will always win. If you want a concours seat Mikes seat is not it, if you want one that looks close and is comfy it's worth it.

I've got one of mike's seats new in box that I'm probably never going to use. If you decide to go that way feel free to make me an offer. You should know the lettering on the back of his is gold for some reason when I think it should be white. If I sell that I may as well sell a bunch of other xs1 parts, I've pretty much decided restoring isn't for me.

They must have upgraded the quality then. Just to let people know I do have a spare seat trim that is in very good shape I would sell. Only one spot that has a small dent. I think the best way is to have a good pan/trim and rebuild with new foam and cover.

Thanks for the replies.. I just finished up shopping at mikes and boy those little 5-10-20 dollar items add up , I guess the only good thing is I`ll get free shipping:D
I`m gonna haunt Ebay and the classified`s here and see what I can find used and what I absolutely need from mike`s ,
I cant find the seat covers though, There are some from the UK but I could have swore I seen them a year ago selling right here in the states.

I'm in the same boat. I too was considering a seat from mikes. I do have a used one on the way to me. It was part of a package deal. I think it's just ok,,,nothing super nice.

I did have one guy tell me he really liked mikes seat. But then again, there wasn't one on his bike when he bought it. So I guess somethin is better than nothin,,,lol. :D

Like I said I got my cover on e-bay from Pit-Replica. Just search XS2 seat. Before they started making them I had tried a couple of other covers from other sources but they were crap. $59.00 free shipping

Like I said I got my cover on e-bay from Pit-Replica. Just search XS2 seat. Before they started making them I had tried a couple of other covers from other sources but they were crap. $59.00 free shipping

Your bike looks amazing!! Who did your paint.

Did you do the seat cover yourself. Was it very hard.

Thanks!. The paint was done by Ralph at http://paintworkz.com/. He specializes in Kawasaki Z1 paint. I think he did mine as a favor. He is very good. The seat foam/cover was put on by a Sharon Hart out of Prescott Wi who does work from her garage but is also very good. Ralph also did my Z1

Attachments

• Ride west 2007 141.jpg
    Ride west 2007 141.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 171
I've got one of mike's seats new in box that I'm probably never going to use. If you decide to go that way feel free to make me an offer. You should know the lettering on the back of his is gold for some reason when I think it should be white. If I sell that I may as well sell a bunch of other xs1 parts, I've pretty much decided restoring isn't for me.

I need a new seat for my 73, I PM'd you if you want to sell it. Thx

I am intrested in the seat for the xs2 if it is origional looking and it fits correctly. It is a complete seat right?

I bought a cover from saddleskins through dennis kirk .I also bought a square of gel pad and cut out the original foam and fit it in to the rectangle cutout . I must say it turned out looking perfect and super comfortable to ride on.the seat is gel foam under the cover right up to the strap. I should have gone even a little longer on the gel
I will post a finished pic soon.
Billy

Back