Anyone ever taken apart Mike's XS speedo for bulb change?

retroLS1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have a mini speedo from Mike's XS - this one - and I noticed the backing light isn't all that great. I don't ride at night much but I did last night and was underwhelmed. From the looks of it there is probably one small bulb down the bottom by the odometer that projects on the whole face. There is a noticeable 'dead spot' on the top of the speedo between about 60-100 (not that I will ever take it that high but still).

Was wondering if anyone has ever opened one of these up and if they ever changed the bulb to maybe an LED instead of the one in there currently. I don't want to start taking it apart and have it fall apart on me or lose parts etc... If no one has, I might take a dive into it and see what I can find and hope I don't botch it.

I have that same speedo, the grey rubber on the back that has the wires going into it comes out, that is the bulb holder. An led might work but those are directional bulbs and will prolly have same problem, be careful putting a higher wattage bulb in there as the added heat may adversly affect the plastic number wheels warping them thus making your trip meter useless. Make sure to post up with your solution, like i said im in the same boat.

You can get "wide angle" LEDs here (SMD) at a place called Jaycar... not sure what you can get over there. They work very well in spreading the light and providing a very bright LED light... they also are TINY amounts of power...

Thanks Turbo, I'll check it out. I have used SuperbrightLEDs before - have one of their flashers installed on my bike. Didn't get a chance to dive into it this weekend but will do so soon hopefully.

Back