Anyone install a SPARX permanent magnet alternator?

ann0yed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was just reading up on the SPARX permanent magnet alternator available at 650central.com and was wondering if anyone had installed it yet and what your thoughts might be on them. A bit expensive at $510 but I do want to go battery-less and this sounds like a great option; I don't feel like hunting down and retro-fitting parts from other bikes and making adapter plates and such.

http://www.650central.com/electrical.htm

-jonathan

I've used the 3-phase Sparx--battery required--for a couple of full riding seasons. It's worked flawlessly. There are threads on the Sparx system here and at 650 Garage. When you add up what it takes to put an OEM alternator with reliable rewinds and reg/rec in place, the price of the Sparx starts looking pretty good.

$40 vs $500 is a bit of a stretch to say that the price of the sparx looks pretty good.. If my stator goes out I am out another $25 so I can go through about 18 stators before I hit that price...

BTW is Cdale getting hit by this ridiculous storm I'm getting hit by up here near Alton?

I'd go the cheap route but I really appreciate when all the parts come in one box with instructions and bolt right in with no machining.

-j

Ok BigJimmy, start talking! I know you have a detailed posting of this installation somewhere right? Can you give me a shopping list?

-jonathan

Thanks, I see a lot of stator plates on ebay but when I put "banshee rotor" in, I get all brake rotors. What's a banshee rotor?

-jonathan

- or mrrigs adaptor, stator 103 x 42 x 20 mm eg VF500, banshee rotor, rec-reg from a high revving sports bike using 3 phase permanant magnet alternator, cam-based ignition system eg pamco, boyer etc-incl original atu etc

- even this here

Now my Pamco green monster will work with this type alternator with no modifications to that?

Craig

It got a little overcast and windy here, Jimmy, but no storm really--just a break from the godawful heat. Re. the price--I don't know that I would have spent it unless my stash of known-good OEM alternator stuff had hit bottom, but Bill Getty needed somebody to blueprint the installation, MMM gave Bill my name, and Bill gave me the alternator in exchange for hardware specs, wiring instructions, and a timing template; all I have in it is my time. At the same time, if a guy doesn't have the capability to accurately locate TDC, doesn't know a degree wheel from a Crescent wrench, and is absolutely sure that a multitester is going to chew off his hand like a starving piranha if he tries to use one, the Sparx is a decent alternative to having the OEM system rewound.

Does it matter too much that the banshee rotor is a single stage one? Also, does it really not mater shich reg/rect you use, as long as it is from a late model bike?

My charging is toast on mine and I am pretty attached to the idea of how much better this set up would be.

Back