Anyone know anything about using Carrillo rods for an early engine.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am putting together parts for an early hot rod motor and am leery of counting on the stock rods. Anyone know anything about a stronger rod to use instead? I'd just throw a late model crank and rods in the block but I already have a 750 kit with 22mm wrist pin pistons. maybe I'd be better off getting different pistons????

Anyways tell me what I need to know?

The stock rods won't live long in an engine with about 64 - 65 RWHP or more, especially if you spin it up to access that power.
I've just put Carrillos in a 256 engine used for AHRMA racing and I believe Michael Morse has another set or two available. Shell rods are no longer available and I'd advise against purchasing a used set unless you can check the bearing surfaces for condition and wear first.
An option is to magnaflux/zyglo a set of stock rods for cracks and if they are structurally perfect then shot-peen and/or cryo them at an industrial facility. That should add meaningfully to their strength.

Added note; the new in the box 750 "from Swede? " kit came with a used "shell" cam, the guy used to hill climb XS's

No savable early bike will be harmed in this endeavor, the donor engine is a "back of some guys garage", numbers ground off 70 or 71 engine. It looks like it went through a serious sky, ground, sky trip at some point. The frame is a never completed ice racer one off. The odds of completion by me aren't really all that great. But I keep hoping.
Thanks for the heads up on MM I'll check with him.

Back