Anyone running Top Fools pipes?

I love this site whenever someone see's something they immediately want to copy it. Those pipes suck there for show,lets be honest and cut the pc bs

I love this site whenever someone see's something they immediately want to copy it. Those pipes suck there for show,lets be honest and cut the pc bs
I thought you left...?

Teebs yes these pipes are plug and play if thats what you are asking.When we have put them on a bike with stock or mikuni carbs we have not had to rejet.
As for buying a welder comment,most guys that are looking to purchase things such as pipes don't have one readily available.
The market is what it is you either like them and want to get a set or you don't. I won't argue if they are better then so and so's or even about how they help,hinder or boost performance.
BTW how's your bike coming Teebs?

Last edited:
You may not have re-jetted, that does NOT mean you shouldn't have. "Plug and play"? :laugh: It may run with those pipes, but run well? I'm convinced.

What I'm reading here is that you are either straight up full of shit or don't have a clue about the topic at hand. Are you Nate the paint guy? If so... stick to arguing about that. I call "bullshit". You won't argue their performance, because there IS no argument. At least not one that supports your position. :thumbsup:

My bike is coming along just fine. Thanks for asking! No rush, I'm not lacking for other bikes to ride. (I have an uber-sweet Huffy, and a totally retro Schwinn.) And it takes a little longer when you don't have a professional shop, work on it on your off-time, and actually want to make something with a little originality. I'm sure you understand.

By the way, are you guys still slapping Sporty peanut tanks on XS's, and giving them silly names just like the Teutuls do? :wink2:

Teebs! i have a king sporty tank on mine, does that make it a little better? :shrug: lol also have a tc bros hardtail and drag bars! lol. that probably takes away any originality at all! :banghead: yea that is pretty typical i know! haha just playin with ya teebs! :laugh: :thumbsup:

Brother, you lookin' for a fight? I'll have you know I'm the toughest kid in my detention unit block. I pull hair, and you have a shitload of it, so you better watch it... You think I'm playin'??? I got a black belt in Tae Bo. I'm a stone killah. Them fools on the block try to play me, well I showed 'em. They gots the tooth marks to prove it. That's how I roll.

HAHAHAHA!!! :laughing: your a funny dude man! i am lookin for a fight :boxing: (until you actaully show up to fight then i run... fast!) haha! you should put a sporty tank on your build man they are the shit! and as far as the tae bo you better watch out, billy blanks is my older brother and he will beat you up! :poke: cant you see the resemblance, we are practically twins! :laugh:

I thought you left...?

Teebs yes these pipes are plug and play if thats what you are asking.When we have put them on a bike with stock or mikuni carbs we have not had to rejet.
As for buying a welder comment,most guys that are looking to purchase things such as pipes don't have one readily available.
The market is what it is you either like them and want to get a set or you don't. I won't argue if they are better then so and so's or even about how they help,hinder or boost performance.
BTW how's your bike coming Teebs?

Thought I left? I have to come back once in awhile to get a good laugh and your pipes fit the bill. Plug and play pipes? I"m starting to wonder if you have even ridden a properly tuned xs. As far as the site goes it"s really become free advertising for (some people not all) trying to make a quick buck off those struggling to build a bike,it's suppose to be about giving free accurate knowledge to those trying to learn to build an xs. I"m not talking about those of the likes of pamcopete who put out a good product,knows these bikes very well,and goes beyond to help others.Peace:bike:

One thing to remember here kiddos.

even though it seems to haul ass and stomps the bars off of "a stock one", there is a reason for that,
"LEAN IS MEAN"
take the time to read the plugs and jet accordingly when you buy open pipes.

ZOMG, SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG!

So yeah, short pipes = no back pressure = excellent top end. Crappy bottom end/cruising fuel economy. Which always confuses me, because all the shorty people i know quick shift and hate revving it up, unless they're under a bridge.

Arguing that their performance is 'better' is an exercise in futility unless you define 'better' first.

Meh. I think they're goofy, but they're not on my bike, so i'm relatively uncaring.

One thing about short pipes is that after a run and you shut down the bike, as the engine starts to cool, cold air is drawn back up the pipes. This cold air when it hits hot exhaust valves can warp the valves.
If you remember back in the days of hot rodding VW Beetles. Lots of folks used those headers with a flared straight pipe sticking up in the back. They carryed a ball and when they stopped they sat the ball on the top of the pipe, they did this to stop the flow of cold air back into the engine.
Run as short a pipe as you want. I'll stay with a full length header and a good muffler. I know the bike will look good, run good, and stay that way.

I love this site whenever someone see's something they immediately want to copy it

Okay, pal. Slow it down right about here. How many sets of Top Fool pipes have you seen on bikes? Because for me, other than the Ardcore guys' OWN BIKE, I don't think I've seen them anywhere else. So I'm the one 'copying' something that everyone else does huh? Get real. :wtf:

And even if everyone and their mother were running the same pipes (or tank, hardtail, bars) isn't that what they're for sale for in the first place? Supply and demand, if people want something, it's only a matter of time before someone provides it for them or they do it themselves. So the Top Fools pipes are not common, that's somewhat obvious, as you rarely ever see them, and they're built for enthusiasts by enthusiasts. It just happens to be a look/design I LIKE. Funnily enough, for MY bike. They are for sale, and you don't have to buy them if you don't want them. So clean off your glasses and take a look around, nobody's copying anything.

[/useless internet rant at random e-thug]

For the rest of you folks, I understand where your coming from. Most of you are criticizing the pipes based on the (premeditated, unless you've dyno'ed them yourself) notion that they're lousy performers, make you dramatically lose power and torque, and sound like a lawnmower.....basically an all around stupid idea, so I shouldn't buy them and should instead buy a 2-into-one like everyone else. Oh wait, I can't do that or I'd be 'copying' everyone else on the internet.

They will alter the performance of the engine, this I know as well as anyone who can tell their wrist-pin from their connecting rod. But will they cut it in half and move what's left to stratospheric RPM's that I'll never see? No. If I wanted performance first, looks second, I wouldn't be very worried about these particular pipes would I?

I wish I could get some real, on topic, or even mildly useful feedback from what should be a helpful and articulate online community of folks all interested in the same thing. i.e. the Yamaha XS650.

I like the Top Fools pipes made by Ardcore Choppers. Period. End of story. So thanks for all your wonderful opinions, but I think I'll keep my future questions to myself or ask to another board where they'll be accepted, not blown out of proportion.

Thanks,
Logan

P.S. I love you Teebs. :wink2:

OK Venmus, DEEP breath :smoke: We are here to help, but you know how it can be with the inmates on ANY site :poke:

Last edited:
My discussion with the dude from ardcore was based on his insistence that these pipes were "plug and play", and good performers, which you just acknowledged was not necessarily the case. There can't be any doubt that changing to these pipes will require a re-jetting if you want it to run as well as it can with the new pipes. Just as it would with practically ANY other pipe. So why the disingenuous statement from Ardcore? I get a little "enthusiastic" when I see someone bullshitting or spreading misinformation for monetary gain.

If most of us are "criticizing the pipes based on the notion that they're lousy performers, make you dramatically lose power and torque, and sound like a lawnmower....." doesn't that suggest something to you? That because the general consensus is the same, that maybe, just maybe, we ARE trying to help you out and give you some good, experienced, knowledgeable advice?

True, some handle it better than others. Gordonscott always seems to keep his cool, xstwin speaks his mind sans filter and lacks anything remotely resembling tact, I am sarcastic, opinionated and can come off just a little confrontational. Welcome to a community.

As far as dyno-testing the "Top Fools", I don't feel the need to. I got my first real motorcycle ('73 GT80) when I was 8. I spent many weekends modifying that bike with my dad. Since then I've modified or chopped 50 scoots, give or take. I've run every kind of pipe you can think of, and one thing I KNOW, is that those pipes are dogs.

That said, I have no problem with and really no opinion about you having a set on your bike. I wasn't trying to discourage you from having these pipes so much as trying to encourage you to build your own. My opinions are more about the building process. I want to see real building, wherever you can. That means fabrication rather than assembly.

Finally; If you like them, fuck me and everyone else.

P.S. I love you too, man! ...but not in a gay way. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Okay, I've taken my 10 deep breaths and dreamed about prancing unicorns for a while now, I'm calm ;)

Pardon me if my retorts got overly defensive or offensive to anyone but I too was speaking my mind nix the filter. I think it just rubbed me the wrong way to ask a good-natured question about a 'cool/sweet' set of pipes I like and the next thing I know you're barking up at me like dogs.

No big deal, and I'm not here for drama, sooo, I welcome myself to this colourful community. Hello to Bigjimmie, teebs, xsjohn, travis, sundie, inxs, xsleo, xstwin, gordanscott, among many others. I'm here to get serious (but not always) and play with the big boys. So in AA meeting style: Hi, my name's Logan and I have an XSive problem. :laugh:

On another hand far from this cozy get-together, what about making them a little better pipe, even if they are...well,...little pipes. Could they be baffled? Could I have those torque cones welded in to alter the flow enough to provide the same effect as a pipe that's 8" longer? Could it be as easy as welding a washer in them for backpressure? Surely not... What about taking a leaf out of Yamaha's ol book and having a smaller main tube (but not quite as small as stock) and sleeving it in a fatter tube for the looks part of it? Help the performance keep the looks?

Okay, regardless if it was a foodfight up there ^^ or not, thanks for the replies. There was a noticeable common opinion regarding the Top Fools pipes, even if it was unrelated to my original OP. :shrug: I guarantee even if I'm missing 5hp I'll still have fun riding her!!!! :bike:

Logan

the restrictors you mentioned above are probably a good idea, and if you can figure out how to get baffles past the curve (unless you're making your own, then ignore) would be good too. A simple washer that close to the flow generation would be bad - the turbulence it would create would cause major issues. I've never actually tried it, but since we're talking about laminar fluid flow, i can't imagine it would be good.

It's very difficult to make a short exhaust perform well at anything other than wot, same as short intakes. You may have to sacrifice excellent performance characteristics (and when i say 'performance', i mean everywhere, not just caning it) for aesthetic merit - which is subjective, so do what you want, just be aware that that's why you're doing it (which you seem to be).

Reviving this old thread.. Just finished my "top fools" exhaust.. Im like the rest of you guys, I love the look of the pipes but I couldnt justify $250 for raw metal pipes that are so simple..

So:
IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

And just for refrence, this is what I had before:
IMAG0021-2.jpg

It was pretty simple to make them. Just chopped my stock pipes about 2 in from where they start, weld a 90 on there, then weld another 90 on the end and cut to desired length. Only took about an hour to build them total. Then paint with vht paint, install headder wrap, seal wrap and voila!

Picked up the 90's from an exhaust supplier in town. $35 for all 4 pieces, they had enough straight on the ends so I didnt have to buy extra pipe either.

And for all the haters, I havent noticed any loss in low end power or top end, it isnt really louder then before, but it definately sounds different, and backfires when when decelerating.. Now I did jet the bike for no mufflers and 1.5in pipes when I assembled, so I may have been a little rich with the stock diameter pipes before.

Im with venmus, if I did end up loosing power it isnt enough for me to notice so who really cares??

Back