anyone tried this jet kit from Amazon?

Before you invest in this kit, please read the Carb Guide on this site, in particular the section on tuning. My guess is that this kit includes far more pieces than you'd ever use, so why buy them all? What you would pay for this kit could get you one heck of a good start on converting to far better EX500 Ninja carbs (Keihin 34mm CVK's), for which there is a very complete thread, including hundreds of posts, that explains every detail.

I just ordered this kit...figured I'd give it a shot. I gave them my elevation, and list of mods on the bike. We'll see how closely they can get the tune.

I actually went back and canceled my order. It doesn't come with new needles and that's pretty much the only point of buying a kit and not just putting one together from scratch. Going to order a factory pro kit instead.

If you are running some kind of muffler and uni pods and bs34....bigger mains..137.5 to 140..one up on pilot usually (im still at stock pilot)In my case I went to xs400 needles and the xs650 cdn needle jet. But I am 2000 asl. Needed to lean the needles and stock bs34 needles are not adjustable. Jetting is just play with combos.

bs38 are different every couple years. 5 twins has a lot of good jetting info on them all.

Last edited:
If you are running some kind of muffler and uni pods and bs34....bigger mains....one up on pilot. In my case I went to xs400 needles and the xs650 cdn needle jet. But I am 2000 asl. Needed to lean the needles and stock bs34 needles are not adjustable. Jetting is just play with combos.
That's why I canceled my order. I'm running Uni's, bs34'# and ya mama straight pipes. I don't want to shim the needle, I want it to be adjustable. Factory pro doesn't offer a kit for our bikes, so I'm having to track down another needle elsewhere.

Usually need to lean needles with bigger mains. The stock 5hx12 bs34 needles usually work for most as they are pretty lean already. In my case the didn't. Elevation probably. Do some Google searching on bs34 5z1 needles . 5 twins has a lot of good info to dig through in posts.

That's why I canceled my order. I'm running Uni's, bs34'# and ya mama straight pipes. I don't want to shim the needle, I want it to be adjustable. Factory pro doesn't offer a kit for our bikes, so I'm having to track down another needle elsewhere.

Pickle, if your still running the carbs I sold you really the only thing you might want to try is swapping for different needles. Everything else was done, rejetted and rebuilt. Try the needle in different positions as well before buying. I was running open pipes on those as well and they were good runners. I realize we live in different climates they shouldn't need a variety of jets and all that.

Yes, no one really markets jet kits for the 650 and for good reason. There were no fewer than 5 different carb sets used during the production. All were jetted differently, some slightly, some a lot, all had different needles, and there was a change in 1980 from the BS38s to the completely different BS34s. They would have to make a bunch of different kits and I just don't think there's a market for them. There really isn't much available in the way of replacement needles and needle jets for these. Most of us get by with just changing mains and pilots.

If you'd like some adjustable needles to play with in your BS34s, I suggest this kit from Cruzinimage .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161720238856?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You get not one but two different adjustable needles, also a needle jet that may be of some use. The needles are a generic Y265 and Y267. The Y265 has a taper that closely resembles the XS400 5Z1 but is a bit longer, matching the old stock needle length. The Y267 is a close match to the 5O2 used in the '78-'79 BS38s .....

KitNeedles.jpg

Even though I cancelled my order and received a refund , they still sent me the kit. I sent them an email asking if they wanted it back almost 3 weeks ago and never heard anything back, so now I have spare parts. This is what they sent - 2 150 mains, 2 155 mains, 2 32.5 pilot jets, washers to space the needle and various drillbits, which I do not know exactly what most of them are for. I'm sure one is for drilling the slides. I also have no idea what that big ass screw is for. They also sent some pretty detailed instructions for my bike, although he sent the wrong one because my '78 has BS34's on it.

0rUBAcB.jpg

If you'd like some adjustable needles to play with in your BS34s, I suggest this kit from Cruzinimage .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161720238856?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You get not one but two different adjustable needles, also a needle jet that may be of some use. The needles are a generic Y265 and Y267. The Y265 has a taper that closely resembles the XS400 5Z1 but is a bit longer, matching the old stock needle length. The Y267 is a close match to the 5O2 used in the '78-'79 BS38s .....

KitNeedles.jpg

Thanks for sharing 5twins, I just ordered that kit for the needles. $22 for the pair is a killer deal.

Even though I cancelled my order and received a refund , they still sent me the kit. I sent them an email asking if they wanted it back almost 3 weeks ago and never heard anything back, so now I have spare parts. This is what they sent - 2 150 mains, 2 155 mains, 2 32.5 pilot jets, washers to space the needle and various drillbits, which I do not know exactly what most of them are for. I'm sure one is for drilling the slides. I also have no idea what that big ass screw is for. They also sent some pretty detailed instructions for my bike, although he sent the wrong one because my '78 has BS34's on it...

Well, that's odd.
I wonder if the screw would have been used for prying out bs34 mix caps.
It would be interesting to know those drillbit sizes.
I wonder if the jets have the Mikuni logo.
Those jets seem a bit fat. I wonder if the smaller drill is for drilling the air bleeds...

I'm guessing the drill bit and big screw would be to remove the factory-installed plugs over the idle air screws. Dunno how any 650 could use mains as large as 150 / 155.

I'm guessing the drill bit and big screw would be to remove the factory-installed plugs over the idle air screws. Dunno how any 650 could use mains as large as 150 / 155.

When I ordered the kit, they asked for my mods and elevation. I listed that I have UNI pods and straight pipes and gave the elevation for my location, that explains the big mains.

Well, that's odd.
I wonder if the screw would have been used for prying out bs34 mix caps.
It would be interesting to know those drillbit sizes.
I wonder if the jets have the Mikuni logo.
Those jets seem a bit fat. I wonder if the smaller drill is for drilling the air bleeds...
I'll take a look at the mains for you tonight.

Back