anyone use a tricon switch. (kill switch not working)

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i ordered a tricon switch from ebay. it's in emgo knock-off. (hopefully it will last. anyway it's got 6 wires coming out of it. 3 for the hi/low, 1 for horn and 1 for kill. how the heck am I suppose to wire the kill switch with only 1 wire?? I want to be able to intrupt the ground to the coil

It doesn't "interupt" the ground to the coil at least not with points, it "adds" a connection to ground. You would wire from the kill terminal to the wire between the points and the coil. With the button pressed the points will never "open the ground" and there will be no spark. AFAIK This will not do the job if you have two sets of points. You should have a ground wire from the handle bars to the frame if you have rubber handle bar riser bushings.

just did a search and I guess with the single wire it just grounds out the coil to the handle bars. so do I wire in series or parallel?

You better check with Pete, the only way it would work would be to connect the kill to the green wire and I do NOT know if that might harm the Pamco.

You might be able to wire that Engine Stop switch to run a relay to feed power to the ignition. I use a relay controled by the Engine Stop switch on my bike.
Use a common relay from most any where hook power from the key to terminals 86 and 30. Hook terminal 85 to the Engine Stop switch. Hook the ignition to terminal 87.
This way power flows from the key switch to 86 thru the relay out to the Engine stop switch. When the Engine Stop switch makes contact with ground it closes the contacts in the relay sending power from 30 to 87 and the ignition.
Just had a thought, is the Engine Stop switch a momentary switch, just on when you hold it pushed or is it an off/on type switch. If it has to be held down the relay idea will work, you would just have to hold the switch to run the bike. If it is an on/off switch that stays switched then it will work, the off my be on.
On mine I set it up so the stock engine stop switch feeds power to the relay and grounds after the relay.
The Engine Stop switch just controls the relay, the relay controls the power to the ignition. This way even if the Engine Stop switch gets a bit grungy the ignition gets full power thru the relay.
With no battery, I just saw that, this won't work.
Yep, check with Pete.

haha, it's just a momentary switch... i don't see how intrupting the ground to the coil could cause an issue

Back