Anyone used dyna beads?

I'm sorry, but there's no way for the beads to know where the light spot in the tire is, much less to go there and fix it...

The whole tire is turning at the same speed.

Last edited:
You could mount and balance your own tires-not that hard to do.

John

I have Akronts... No drop center, so actually it IS hard to do. I have installed tires before, never had as much trouble as I did with these wheels, wasn't worth damaging them. The tires I bought are also tubeless, so even tougher to install than a tube tire, AND the tire I chose is wider than stock...

prove me wrong though... come on over and do it. I'll give you $100 if you can do it without hurting the rim or tire.

Xjwmx, The beads don't work off the light spot, they work off the heavy spot. Go to the site I listed earlier. Click on How they work. It shows with pics just how they work.
Shotgunjoe, I mount my own tires. I have the stock lipped rims on the 75, I have mags on the 81. Both are not hard to do, tubed or tubless.
Where you live? I might come show you how.
Leo

It's backed by testimonials, not measurements. You don't have to go any further than that to know it's a scam.

I don't really care what a measurement says I've talked to several people including the guy that mounted my tires and they all say they work great

^People are easily deceived when subtle sensations are involved, especially with the sense of hearing for example. You know people who say they work great and if you wanted you could find people who say they don't work at all. Since this is supposed to be physics at work, it should be easy to be scientific about it, if it really works.

Did you read the how they work section at the site?
People have used simular things to balance tires. Golf balls in tractor trailer tires comes to mind. The beads are much better than golfballs.
Leo

Like I said, there's one born every minute and I include myself in that group. About 10 years ago I bought a similar product for cars and put it in the tires on my small truck. Yeah, that was a mistake. I had to have all the tires removed to get that crap out. Cost me to have them unmounted, cleaned, remounted and then, of course, rebalanced. I wouldn't put that shit in my tires again if they gave it away free. A word to the wise....you've been warned.

Did you read the how they work section at the site?

I did. That's how I verified they were being unscientific.

The balls are as likely to roll to the heavy part of the tire as they are to the light part because the whole tire is turning at the same speed.

xjwmx, Yes, all the part of the tire spin at the same speed.
As the tire spins all the beads evenly distribute around the tire.
As the tire spins, the heavy spot, when it comes up to the top of the rotation, lifts the tire up. The beads being very dense tend to stay put as the tire goes up. This shifts shifts the beads toward the light part of the tire.
Every time the heavy spot comes up the beads shift to compensate for the heavy spot. This only takes a few revolutions to accomplish.
On being scientific try googling tire balancing you might find something.
Purple, was the stuff you used one of those liquid balancers? I have never heard anything good about those. I can see them making a mess inside a tire. The Dyna Beads are a ceramic. Ceramic is dense and hard. It is used to make brake rotors. Tough stuff. Being ceramic they are dry so easy to remove if you don't like them.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

I don't see how the beads resist the motion of the heavy spot lifting the tire and what is causing them to go down. I just can't picture the physics behind it in my head.

The company that creates dyna beads should just create a fake clear tire and use a high speed camera to show what's going on.

I just watched a you tube video where a clear plastic water bottle was hooked to a drill. It had a 20 gram weight taped to the side of the bottle. They spun it and it wobbled so bad they could barely turn the bottle. Put 1 oz of beads in then spun it. After just a few revs it smoothed right out and could run it fast or slow with no wobble. They stopped and started a couple times and the bottle run true each time.
If i was smart enough I would post a link.
Just google tire balance and you will find it.
A very impressive display.
Travis, the beads are very heavy for the size. It's one of Newton's laws, A body at rest tends to stay at rest. The force of the tire lifting is less than it takes to lift the beads.
So the beads stay in place as the tire rises. After a few revs of the tire the beads get held in place by centrifugal force. Even with the lipped wheels like my 5 has with mud in the lips it balances.
When I first put then in a tire I rode the bike as a baseline, rode fine, Took off the big weight on the spokes. Rode it, ow, not good, very much worse. Installed the beads. rode it, much smoother than it was with the balance weight. Very impressive. I have only a few thousand miles on those tires, so how the beads effect the tire wear and life I don't know yet.
On the Harley the improvement wasn't as noticeable but it is still better. The Harley tires being a more expensive tire my have better inherent balance. Only about 5000 on them. No noticable cupping or wear yet. But they take around 7-8000 before the show much cupping on the front tire anyway.
Maybe by the end of the season I'll know more about wear.
Leo

^What's the name of the video? You don't mean this one do you?

You know, it would be simple to test.

Hammer a big weight on a tire and put it in a dynamic balancer. Then pour in beads and see if it balanced it.

Thats not the one I watched. I think that is a before clip, no beads yet. I think there is a second clip to show the after the beads are added.
I think thats right.

Yep, that link works.

Yeah 69er posted this on page one of this thread:

xjwmx, you right about doing the test with a dynamic balancer. Where's that youtube video?

Regarding the videos, first, what you're seeing isn't necessarily what happened.

I'd like to see an rpm meter hooked to both. I noticed that with the bottle he only spun it without beads at a low rpm. With beads at that rpm it wobbled too. Also, the beads in the little tire test probably weigh more than the tire. How does that affect things?

If these work, why don't we see the results of a dynamic balancer test somewhere? That's definitive. Also, why don't they hire a physicist to write up how they work; why the beads go where they supposedly go, in mathematical terms.

Also, assuming the bottle isn't sleight of hand, there's a big disparity between 1 oz of beads and the weight of the bottle, vs the weight of a tire and ??? lbs of beads. It's about countering various forces and that depends on weight or mass. So, show me a dynamic balancer test from the u.s. bureau of standards or some other trusty place, or else a white coat at a blackboard :)

Back