anyone with luck shaving fork lowers without a lathe?

Seattle51

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done plenty of minor aluminum cleanup work (polishing / removing casting marks) and know what a PIA time consuming project it is, but I really want to shave the lowers but don't have a lathe. Other than taking a REALLY long time to get right has anyone that has done this have any helpful tips, or would like to talk me out of it?

Thanks!

Just take ur time. I use a air die grinder with a small cut off wheel to remove the bulk of it. Then move to small air angle grinder with 36 grit 3 inch 3m green roloc disc. Then I move onto 80 grit on a finish d.a. Then to 180 then move up in grit till I'm wet sanding it with 1000 grit. Run over it with 2000 grit wet sand real quick. Polishes right up in no time. No lathe excellent results. Like a mirror

Pics
miscpics159.jpg

miscpics161.jpg

shave3.jpg

After cutting the bulk off, I used a silicon carbide belt on an expanding rubber drum with a home-made water cooling system. Very fast and easy, excellent results. Just be sure you're plugged into a GFCI circuit. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with a belt sander -- put the sander in a vice and hold the fork in your hands, that's the way to get control.

the fork on the left is before the buff wheel. on the right...after, could be better but not bad. just take your time.
i used a cut off wheel on a angle grinder to get the bulk. then used a grinding wheel, then a flap disk (carefully, dont dig just get the shits off.) then crack open a 12 pack and start sanding to blend it all in. start rough. working your way up, start wet sanding around 1000 or something. then get some buffing wheels and compound from the harbor freight and go at it. i dont really know what im doing when i buff, i went from the course shit to the fine shit on the same wheel. same with the sanding, i dont really know the best process, id say mine look ok, and im a amateur at best. got about ten hours into them as an estimate.
IMG_6469.jpg

Edit:

Oops. Sorry. I just read that you don't have a lathe. My apologies. I guess I should have read everything.

BTW the legs that Visual Impact did look great. Very nice work.

Last edited:
Hahaha!!! How soaked were after finishing up those lowers dogbunny? That is a GREAT idea with the belt sander. I'm totally gonna do it! What grit did you start with on the sander?

Thanks for all the responses, I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Yes, I was soaked when I was done. I held the fork close to my body to control it.
I use two grits, start with 50 or 60 or 80 grit silicon carbide and finish with 220 grit.
The water is essential. It cools the fork, keeps the belt from getting loaded with aluminum, and keeps the dust out of the air so you don't breathe it. You can get a helper to just hold a hose. It doesn't take long to do a fork. Google GFCI circuit if you don't know what that is.

Lots of power tools, but for hogging off aluminum a hacksaw then a big old rasp moves a bunch of metal quickly and is satisfying exercise to boot.

Dogbunny, I love it. Its elegance is in its simplicity, and as long as your careful (GFCI circuit, don't stand in the bathtub, etc) should be pretty safe. I'm gonna put something together similar outside of my garage, I've got the perfect bench, hose bib and gfci circuit all waiting for this project! Thank you and everyone else for the responses, I really appreciate it!

I used an angle grinder to cut the major stuff off, then smoothed out the cuts with various grinding and flap wheels. Then I kinda made a lathe to spin the lowers. Some threaded rod, lots o' washers and nuts, a drill and a vice....well...just watch.

hey lidirtrider, for making me watch that video of your lathe (no offense, its sweet) this is for you.

HAHAHA!! I know what ya mean. That was only a few seconds too. Now imagine being out there for over an hour. I hear that sound in my sleep. And as crappy as it sounds, I've been using that drill for over 15 years, and it will still out drive any new drill I've used. It'll run 3 inch screws through composite decking and treated lumber like its paper. Just pray you dont hit a knot. If it doesnt just tear the drill out of your hand, it WILL, break your wrist.

I have a '75 XSb. The bike is totally original including the cheesy tool kit. The fork legs are somewhat discolored and spotty. Any advice on cleaning, polishing w/o taking them off and dissassembly would be appreciated. Retireed with all the time in the world.

I have a '75 XSb. The bike is totally original including the cheesy tool kit. The fork legs are somewhat discolored and spotty. Any advice on cleaning, polishing w/o taking them off and dissassembly would be appreciated. Retireed with all the time in the world.

Aircraft Stripper, some sandpaper and polish... They'll look great! Just keep the Stripper away from your seals with some tape, and you'll be set...

hi i have not shaved xs650 legs ,,,yet,,, but i ran a workshop with several polishers doing work for me ,,, and cheaply a polishing wheel is the go ,,, ,,,the used too have several polishing wheels of different grit,,, start coarse,,,, don,t be heavy handed then down to fine grit ,,,you can use a super fine grit which will nearly polish the legs regards oldbiker

Back