Appliance Paint on Motor Mounts?

ryamatt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am planning on using black Rustoleum rattle can appliance paint on my frame, and have started to try it out on some of the smaller bits while the frame gets chopped.

The paint info says not to use it on anything that gets hot, like a stove/oven, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience or issues using it on motor mounts, particularly the ugly top one. Should those pieces be painted with a high temp paint instead?

Thanks.
R

You are good to go, no mounts get hot enough to worry about the warning. Other than exhaust parts that paint is good to use anywhere, IMHO even cylinder fins if you are so inclined.
I :thumbsup: :thumbsup: that paint.

Dupli-Color Wheel paints are very durable as well. My preferred rattle can. I had the outer portion of my SV wheels powder coated black, and re-painted the spoke sections with the Dupli-color. Did this 9 years and 40K miles ago, and it's durable as ever. Stands up to road trash, fling-off from the chain, and spray type chemical cleaners.

Attachments

• DSC00798.jpg
    DSC00798.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20120415_193404.jpg
    IMG_20120415_193404.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 164
Perhaps they are a similar/same formulation in differently labeled cans. IE plain old better quality paint.

I used it on my frame and mounts and was very happy.
roller.jpg

Be warned that it is not brake fluid proof....
Don't ask me how I know ;)

Posted via Mobile

I've used appliance paint and epoxy spray cans and both are very durable. I did the hardtail section on my HD with the epoxy and it still looks great after 5 years. I ride A LOT and live on a dirt road.

Properly applied epoxy will endure chemical attack much better than laquer or enamel paints.
My Dupli-color paint on my wheels gets solvent such as brake cleaner on them, and it is fine.

I sprayed a small part with the same appliance paint. The paint turned out to be very glossy. Of course I sprayed right before I assembled said parts so I tried curing the parts fast in the oven. I think I set the oven temp at 200°, then turned it off when I set the parts inside. Twenty minutes later I had hard paint and the gloss had deminished somewhat, more like stock frame paint.

Tom

The motor mount will get hotter as you drive your vehicle. So low temperature paint can get off the surface. It should be the high temperature paint which is to be used on motor mounts.

Any epoxy should endure the engine mounts pretty well. The external temperatures don't get that high in the mound areas. The barrels and exhaust flanges on the head are the high temp stuff. Decent epoxy won't discolor below 250 degrees. If it's made to take a stove top, your motor mounts don't have anything for it.

Back